1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Few ducks for critique

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Branden, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Branden

Branden Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Set out 2 years ago to learn this trade an pretty happy with where I'm at. Please let me know where and how can I improve for this is the only place I receive info. The only taxidermist in my town shooed me away which made me wanna learn even more

2. I'm not really a bird guy so I can't help much as far as the critique goes. You should however, consider joining your states Taxidermy Association. You can enter pieces for judge critiques and usually attend multiple seminars. You can attend other state's shows as well. I learn far more at seminars and from judge critiques than I do form any other form of education. The shows are the absolute cheapest form of education you'll ever receive. The birds look good to me. Good Luck!

3. I don't see anything wrong, but i haven't mounted many either. I say they look awesome.

4. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Gravity wants to pull the speculum and wing coverts down, you need to make the lower wing symmetrical with the upper wing. The pintail's neck seems too short and stumpy, should be longer and slender. Otherwise, nice work !

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

spend a little more time with the spacing and grooming of wings.....like Brett said....and pinning the wing web can help....otherwise lookin good....action,life...in your poses.....just clean up a few details

6. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

I hope this isn't seen as hijacking a thread, but I have a question.
    I notice on the pintail, where the back of the neck flows into the body. there is a bit of an unnatural crease rather than a smooth transition.I fall victim to this same thing from time to time, but not always. Is this a taxi problem? Is this a lack of support of the skin as in it needs a bit of cotton batting? Is the skin too dry when mounting? Is it over fleshed? ??? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Pretty birds... nice work. The only other issue I see is the symmetry issue already mentioned in the tertials and scaps and just a bit more detail in grooming...
    Easy fixes that would only take a few minutes. I think a client would be very happy to get those birds back.

7. Branden

Branden Member

I appreciate all the feed back, time for another one

8. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Tom I believe that's caused by the neck being a little on the short side. You need place some kind of filler in there be it Cotton, Fiberfill, Tow or caulk all will work just preference on which one you choose to use. That will help smooth out the neck to body transition. Hope this makes sense.

9. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Thanks for the reply, Critterstufr.
    The short neck theory makes sense. I measure off the carcass, but I'll bet occasionally I drop the neck a bit too deep in the clavicle on certain poses. I'll check that and try slipping a bit of cotton batting in, also.