1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pronghorn antelope

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by olytax, Feb 10, 2017.

1. I need some help in finding someone to reproduce a pronghorn antelope that has the horns attached to a European skull mount. I only want a mounting portion of the skull attached to the repro antelope horns. Who would you have do this work for you? THANKS.....BUZZI

2. JHardman

JHardman Member

Wyoming
    I noticed that no one has posted a response, If you still need to replicate this antelope you could do it yourself. I have done them with Latex 74. Brush on several thin coats; be really careful to work the first one in with no voids. If the sheaths and scull have been sealed you may need to apply some release, when I tried this I was working with a clean horn sheath. I built mine up to about 1/4 thick split them up the back to remove them. I hot glued the seam and poured the cast with polyurethane plastic. I can't take credit for this, it is a method I picked up from a friend at a taxidermy show. I realise there are a whole lot of other ways to accomplish the same thing but this is quick easy and inexpensive. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of the casts, they did turn out very nice!

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I agree............

I agree with JHardman. I use Latex-74 but you can also use silicone (GI 1100).

Here are some antelope and buffalo horns that I did with Latex 74.

:)

Kerby...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

I bought a set from Eric Carter a long time ago.

5. Rose80

Rose80 New Member

Re: I agree............

Those horns looks amazing mate. I see you drink the right drinks aswell ;D

Usually i use Latex but ill give silicone a try.

6. owengraham

owengraham New Member

Those horns are really amazing

7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I add strips of burlap to reinforce the mold. I use latex74 and burlap to make molds of rocks.

8. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

where did you purchase the latex 74? I'm looking to do buffalo horns myself.

9. Kerby Ross

TruFitt Taxidermy sells the LATEX 74.

Kerby...

10. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

What did you use to make the horns? thinned down bondo? or Gel-coat? I made mold using latex with banade gooz in the latex, mother mold, bondo and fiberglass. My first time doing all this, so far so good. Tried doing a small log no mother mode, failed. My bondo rocks come nice, silicone mold on the rock as shown in archives. Now trying a Bison horn, before moving on to fish and deer antlers. Thanks for the info.

11. Kerby Ross

I used IE 3030, but you could use bondo & resin. I also use car wax for a mold release.

Kerby...

12. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

What car wax works best? i maybe using thinned down bondo and fiberglass risen. don't what it to get stuck.

Kerby Ross likes this.
  13. Kerby Ross

It doesn't matter, Carnuba paste. :)

Kerby...