1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How thin is thin enough?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Whitetail906, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Whitetail906

Whitetail906 New Member

I tried posting this topic without success. Trying again.... I just want to know how thin is thin enough for commercial Taxidermy. I seem to spend more and more time thinning lips, nose, eyes on each deer I do. I do flesh the head area of the cape with my Dakota pro fleshing machine. But do final areas with a scalpel. I know that thinner the better, and I'm sure each taxidermist is different. But time is money, and I just would like some insight to what others think. I appreciate anyone taking the time to comment.

~Steve

Attached Files:

2. I think that cape in the pics is thin enough, sometimes mine are not that thin, just depends on how much you want to please your customers.

3. Whitetail906

Whitetail906 New Member

Thanks Simms Creek Taxidermy for taking the time to give me your thoughts. I can't help but challenge myself each time to get thinner and thinner. I'm getting much faster at thinning those critical areas, but just need to say "enough" time has been spent and it's thin enough for commercial work I guess.

~Steve

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You look plenty thin, however, the area of the lacrimal crease and "tear duct" gland looks to need more thinning. I like to make that area no thicker than notebook paper.

Jtown likes this.
  5. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

That's looking good, be sure you get the little row of oil glands out of each eyelid too, if you haven't already.

6. Edrevord

Edrevord Member

Can you thin those areas after its tanned?

7. Yes

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I believe this thread is about thinning after tanning Edrevord. I usually thin these areas of all the meat when I split them and really thin them down after they are tanned.

9. Whitetail906

Whitetail906 New Member

Thanks everyone for their input. I did do a little more work around the eyes after I took the pics. I did not do anymore thinning on the nose area. Edrevord, I do all my final fleshing after tanning. However almost all the fleshing of the cape is done before tanning. By the time I take my hides out of the tan, there isn't much to flesh left. Just thinning areas. Then the delicate areas of the eyes, nose, lips are done by hand. That's what I'm struggling with spending much time trying to get those areas almost too thin for commercial work is my guess. But I'm a perfectionist by nature, and I take pride in all I do. So I will just continue with what I'm doing. Thanks again to those who took the time to comment.

~Steve

10. If your mounts are drying nicely without shrinkage problems.................thin enough. Personally, I like 'em paper think on lips, nose, eyes and around the burrs.

11. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Get your self a Dremel with the sanding drum attachment, makes for a nice thin even skin. I use it after scalpel/ skive work

12. Times two here works for me to.

13. Edrevord

Edrevord Member

Ok thanks.

14. NaturallyWild

NaturallyWild New Member

Also a dremmel fan. Can't beat it!

15. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

X2 on dremmel sanding drum

16. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

I have never saw a dremel used for fleashing. Is there a video any where that I can watch?

17. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Not used for fleshing only for thinning eye, nose, lip/chin areas after tanning or pickle to get a thin even detailed area.

18. Jtown

Jtown Member

Awesome tool for thinning. For the newbies attempting this the first time, there's a learning curve when using the Dremel. Be prepared to quick release the go switch when your Dremel gets rolled into your cape. Keep your sewing kit handy.

Micah Howards likes this.
  19. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

I haven't thought about using a dremel for that but will definitely be trying on my next one. Thanks