1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Super Solvent issue - acid swell?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Valley Fur Shed, Feb 12, 2017.

1. I've just started giving Rittel's super solvent a try, and have noticed something odd. My first time using it I mixed according to these instructions (2 fl. oz per gal), and added a yote from the pickle. After a few minutes the skin darkened considerably and had a swelled, squishy, almost gel-like texture. I waited the 30min, rinsed it, and returned to the pickle. The next day when I checked on it, it had gone back to normal and later tanned just fine.

I thought it might be acid swell, though I've never encountered it before this so just a guess. So for next the next couple of degrease batches I added salt to the bath like other degreasers I've used instructed (1/2lb per gallon). That worked and the hides were normal color/texture, until the rinse before going back into the pickle. During the minute or two of rinsing they got that same color and texture change first yote did, but went back to normal after some time in the pickle.

Does this sound like acid swell, and could it be doing any lasting damage to the hides? They seem to be completely normal after pickling again and tan just fine.
    And why might this be happening with SS in particular? Prior to this I used lipa-solv 77 and never had this happen during degreasing or the rinse afterward (my process is exactly the same, only difference is the degreaser used). SS does a great job degreasing so I'd like to continue using it, but such a big texture and appearance change in the skin, even if temporary, does make me a bit nervous :eek:

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I used it years ago, I seem to remember that it turned it into almost a gel kind of like hard Jello. I think it is normal because I used several bottles of it with never an issue.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Just add salt to your degreasing and you won't have any issues. I've it happen and ya you can say it's an acid swell but lucky enough it's not a tanned hide for it would fall apart on us.

4. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Hi Everyone! I worked in a Tannery in Northern Quebece, Canada - for 2 weeks - and we processed a lot of Black Bear skins. We had no problems with the degreasing part, using Super Solvent as a degreaser! The 30 minute soak and then a rinse and return to the Pickle went well. To be honest, we never expierenced an Acid Swelling problem! Everything seemed to come out degreased, and then went on to Tanning, after they were rinsed and returned to the Pickle. they tanned Well, using EZ-100! The 30 minutes it took to degrease the skins seemed sufifcent! No Acid Swelling! I never had a similiar problem!