1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

salt table ideas?

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by bgman, Feb 12, 2017.

1. bgman

bgman Member

My capes take to long to dry out in my garage. I have fans on them trying to speed up the process, but to no avail. looking for any ideas to help me out, weather it be a different type of set up or a different type of drying system. Thank you.

2. I salt them and tie a rope around the neck and hang them up in my shop. How long is it taking your capes to dry out?

3. bgman

bgman Member

about three weeks

4. My shop area stays about 70 degrees, my capes dry in 3 days. I don't know any other way you could dry them faster other than making your temp higher.

5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

4x8 sheet of plywood set up on an angle with a strap of wood at the bottom set in a slight "V" to direct the liquid. Drill a two inch hole at the end of the "V" and put a bucket there to gather the juices. Lay the capes out and salt. Shake the wet salt off after a day or two and cover with dry salt. Use the wet salt for ice melt.

6. My SALT TABLE is 8 foot by 8 foot...........big in size for elk and moose hides and capes of any kind. It takes me about 5 days to dry them out.
    I salt overnight, apply dry salt the next day, hang to dry the next day and two days later they are dry enough to ship to a tannery. I have two dehumidifiers and two fans on the skins when hung up.........they sure help......Buzzi

7. Dehumidifiers, you should try that bgman.