1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Going to Euro mount a skull but it's old questions

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by hookhead19, Feb 13, 2017.

1. hookhead19

hookhead19 New Member

I've done my a few European mounts all with the boiling method but yesterday I found a big old 11 point whitetail that had drowned in my pond a few months ago don't know just how long exactly. It's been completely submerged a few months by my gues I have the head now buried in the yard to keep the stink down until I have a day to work on it. I'm interested in people's opinions on which method they'd chose I know how to boil but with this head already half rotten with skin and all still there I'm not really liking the thought of skinning and scapeling it clean for a boil cleaning so I was looking into other methods like burying it or maceration? Any tips on how to advance with it already rotten a bit? I live in a town so smell is an issue I'm trying to avoid due to my neighbors.

2. ugafanman

ugafanman New Member

I personally boil mine. I know many people that put them in ant beds. If u choose to go that route make sure u have it covered and tied down in some way that way it can't be drug off by animals. And over time squirrels will chew on the antlers for nutrients. So that's why it's a good idea to cover them in some way. Ants will take a while to clean the skull completely but they will do a good job.

3. You could put it in a wire cage and leave it outside for a few months to finish rotting.

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

put it in a black plastic bag and tie it up. place it where it will get direct sunlight for most of the day and leave it for a few weeks. sealing it in the back and placeing it in the sunlight will expedite the natural rotting process. then pull it out and hose it off.

5. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

I've done a couple like that. Some would gag a maggot. I bag them immediately and throw it in the deep freeze for a couple days to freeze solid, that takes the smell away, then when ready to boil, take out and put into pot still frozen.

6. You should post this in the skulls section, probly get more input and any and every thing you could want to know has probably been posted in there already. TONS of info

7. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

Since you buried it in the yard you might have a problem with staining of the skull from the natural minerals in the earth.