1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gray Matter molding silicone rubber

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by BigShotshells, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Back in the 1980's I was molding fish with a product called "Gray Matter" that was sold by Peter Wilson in Connecticut. It was a superior product that would cure against a damp fish and would self-level at about 1 mm. You would then apply a thin flash coat of plaster, followed by a heavier layer, to produce the mold jacket. It wasn't a heavy duty, production type of silicone where you could crank out dozens of castings but it worked perfectly for one-of-a-kinds or small runs.

Does anyone know if this material, or something similar, is still produced? There may be a different version out there in another color or something but I'm not finding it. Did a search of the forums but couldn't find any previous mentions.

Thanks, Dale

Attached Files:

2. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Ha! I use to use this stuff a lot casting fish heads, and I loved it! Still have molds that are in perfect shape over the years. It has a strength and texture unmatched still today! My only problem is that there isn't any more steel head to mount and use my Grey Matter molds for :-\