1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is it possible to refurb bad taxidermy?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Cargophora, Feb 15, 2017.

1. I've always been curious about this, since there's so much badly done taxidermy out there...Is it possible to refurbish a completed piece outside of just cleaning up color?
    I know a lot of things come into account regarding this (age, condition, etc.), it's just pretty sad to see an animal go to waste on a lazy project, especially with some of the terrifying faces out there.
    Can you fix up faces and reset things like ears and eyes even if it has some age?

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Depends on a lot of factors, but basically yes, it is sometimes possible.

Below is an example of a couple I did.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:[​IMG]
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It is possible as Cole showed you but the better question being, is it worth it? From my experience many of the bad mounts were done by beginners with little knowledge of how to properly preserve the skin IE, proper tanning of mammal skins or degreasing of birds or fish for that matter. Sometimes you can put makeup on a pig and make it look better for a while, but eventually that will wear off and it have what you started with.
    When I am asked to do this type of project I take them on a case by case basis with no guarantee. Often times the cost of a refurbish can exceed a whole new mount.

4. Some turds can polished over and over, but they will never become diamonds. Each piece is different.

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I would agree, it is done on a case by case basis. I have turned more down over the years than I have taken on, and the price does often exceed a new mount.

6. some taxi's make a great living on restoration and cleaning. It's comparable to remodeling versus new construction.

7. Emers48

Emers48 Active Member

It depends on the condition that it is in when you get it, some cant be saved.