1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pickle Again?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Ccox, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Ccox

Ccox New Member

Im new to tanning and was wondering if I need to pickle my raccoon hides again. I defrosted in a pickle solution and put them back in the pickle after doing a rough fleshing for about three days ( got busy ). Took them out and salted them, now do I need to pickle again after re hydration and finishing the fleshing or can I put them in the tan now? Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

After ALL SHAVING IS COMPLETELY DONE, they need an additional overnight in pickle.

You don't mention degreasing? YOU MUST DEGREASE before tanning Most small game, if not all! Coons for sure. Degrease in pickle , or in a separate bath.( 1/4 lb salt, and 1-2oz of degrease per gal of warm water)

3. Ccox

Ccox New Member

Can I degrease with Dawn soap?

4. blklab

blklab Member

I have not used DAWN to degrease , I used aa degreaser from McKenzie... Im not sure but I think Dawn will raise the PH of your pickle too much.. I do degrease right in the pickle though.

5. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Yes, if you're in a pinch, and can't wait for the proper products. Maybe 1/3 cup per gal along with other items listed earlier.

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

why did you resalt after a pickle and froze them? No need for that, once pickle and froze just put it back in the pickle and then go for the degreasing and back to the pickle

7. Ccox

Ccox New Member

I didn't refreeze I thawed in the pickle, skined, rough fleshed and salted, then wanted to know if I should repickle.

8. I thaw specimen on my work bench then skin, flesh, turn and salt for 24 hours or overnight then re-salt and let dry 24 hours. I then do rehydration bath, then go to the pickle for 3 days before shaving. Then will degrease in the pickle and adjust pickle to maintain pH. After that I rinse and mix a new pickle and put hide in for an additional 24 hours before neutralizing. Once neutralized I quick rinse drip or spin dry, weigh hide, and mix my tan at that time.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would have just left them in the pickle. I have left capes in a pickle for months before tanning them. You can also freeze a pickled skin and when ready, finish the process by simply thawing and continuing on from there as normal. Since they are salted and probably dried out, you will have to rehydrate them before placing in the pickle, however, not being neutralized if you plan on doing a syn tan, you must consider how will that mess with your pH and will it cause problems? I don't know.
    If you are doing a tan that requires neutralizing after the tan you could still have pH issues.

If you need to do final fleshing, you will need to return it to the pickle for at least 24 hours.

I would just rehydrate it in water and and some salt, pickle for a day, final flesh, return to pickle for a day and continue on as normal.