1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sewing by the Eye!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by elk_hunter67, Feb 16, 2017.

1. elk_hunter67

elk_hunter67 New Member

So I just received a wet tanned deer cape and I noticed their is a hole just above the eye (not the tear duct) and I was wondering what is the best way to fix this? This is my first deer mount. Any information would be great. Thanks

2. I have had some like this and I use waxed dental thread with a small needle, about and inch inch and a half long. Then I sew the hole or cut with a small baseball stitch. If you can still see the thread, you can paint or dye it since it is waxed dental thread. This method has worked well for me.

3. GWebb

GWebb Well-Known Member

If it's small and there is no hair missing I just taxi it in place, close the gap edge to edge and let it dry. Check it everyday as it dries to keep the edge down. With Pro-1 Hide past, you can just brush it our of the hair once it dries if any gets on the hair.

4. blklab

blklab Member

Another option to consider based on the hole and location is to user super glue to glue the hole shut and back the glued hole with a small piece of Nitrile glove.... This should keep it from separating as it dries..

5. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I've had the best luck with gwebb's method. Super glue makes the skin stiff, and harder to get it to lay right. Sewing usually needs puddy and paint. If you do need puddy, use apoxie clay or wood patch. Dries and takes paint flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Sew that sumbitch with clear thread or thread that matches the hair in that area with a whip stitch and mount it up and if you need to repair with anything once dry use apoxie clay and paint to blend.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

My vote is for the GWebb and Jared Green way.

8. elk_hunter67

elk_hunter67 New Member

Thanks for all the information I will give taxing it in place a try!! I was also working on the cape tonight and noticed a few really small holes on the snout as one right in the middle of the nose pad, would this method work for these as well? Do you need to use pins to hold the skin in place while it drys?

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Here's my take on just taxiing the skin closed. As humidity levels change, the skin will also move, even with a good glue, as the glue only holds the mating surfaces, you have the potential for that area to separate, even if it is a little, it can become noticeable. Sewed together well, it holds the whole skin together from top to bottom, the chance of it separating are considerably less.

10. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

You can use insect pins. Don't worry about the one on the nose pad. Just repair with apoxie sculpt. It's going to be painted and glossed any way- easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Sew it. If the stitches show, remove them once the mount is totally dry.