1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

NEED HELP ATTACHING TO BASE

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by david301, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Need some thoughts on how to attach this top to the round wood ped. And still be able to have habitat and be able to remove the bobcat later . Thought about cutting the all thread and welding on a square stock. Not sure, I would like to keep the threaded rod if possible.

Attached Files:

2. The round support pedistal is hollow and about an inch thick.

3. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

David,
    I wonder if you could use a "T" nut? It may not be terribly "convenient" when the bobcat needs to be removed, but I believe you could do it. IDK... just spit ballin.

4. explain more about the t nut.

5. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

A T nut is used in woodworking generally, and in the furniture industry.
    Google it and it will come up immediately with pics (if you don't know what I'm talking about). I won't be able to describe it in any way that's going to make sense...LOL.. so look at a pic. I'm sure you've seen them. Any hardware store should have them.
    I can't be sure that they're available in the size you need for your rod. You'd just have to see.
    Anyway, I thought you might drill the proper size hole through your top to accomodate the T nut and drive it in from underneath before permanently attaching the top. Then run a normal nut (or two) up the threaded rod coming out of the bobcat all the way to the paw. If you use two nuts snugged up to each other they will bind and lock for you. Then thread the threaded rod down through the T nut until it bottoms out on the nut(s) under the paw. The part that sucks about it is you'll either need to spin the bobcat or spin the base to attach and detach. This may be a deal breaker for you... I don't know. I've been trying to think of a way around that, but I'm not coming up with anything. If my explanation sucks, PM me and then maybe I can be more clear (phone). If you don't like this idea, maybe at least it will provoke a better thought or discussion. Respectfully, Tom

6. You could maybe put a piece of wood cross bracing inside the base just below the top. Then drive a screw thru the top into that to hold the top on. When you do your habitat just have a small stick over the screw head that could be removed to access the screw the head.

7. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Well-Known Member

Take a piece of flat stock steel in the shape of a c fit it in the inside of the round base screw thru the tabs in to the round base drill and tap the steel and screw the round base on to the ped.

attached is a basic pict.

Attached Files:

• a11.jpg
      a11.jpg
      File size:
      14.8 KB
      Views:
  8. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Do yourself a favor and go with your first idea, square tubing. No more rotating. No more breaking habitat getting the threaded rod out when it sticks, or wobbling loose with a big hole. No more trap doors to get in with a nut and wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

I would agree that using square stock might be your best solution. Maybe you can find square tube which will fit over the threaded rod (may have to grind off some threads). You can drill a few holes in strategic locations in the side of the smaller male square tube to spot weld it to the rod inside. Grind off any area of raised weld to keep it flat. On bottom of the round top secure a 4x4" block with screws and glue. This can be curved on both ends to fit snugly sideways to the inside of the round bottom pedestal. It should be drilled in center (aligned with rod) to accommodate a larger female square tube which can be anchored using urethane construction adhesive. Making the female and male tubes longer (beyond the block) will keep it more secure IMO. The top can then be permanently fastened to the bottom or you may want to make it so that the snug fitting top can be seated into the base for easy future removal or secured with a couple hidden set screws from the side.

10. Thanks guys for the great ideas. I think you have me talked into the square stock. Just didnt wanna weld now that I already have the cat on the form. I have a big fiberglass blanket. Guess I should have planned this out a little better.

11. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Welding at this time is really risky with the heat traveling up the rod and into your mount.

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    How long is the threaded rod sticking out? You could possibly get away without welding and still use square tubing. Slide a piece of square tubing over the rod with a washer next to foot, just a tad shorter than the rod. Fill tube with epoxy place, rod into tube, Place a flat washer and nut on end of rod. snug up, let epoxy kick, grind off enough of washer so that it will fit inside of the bigger end in the base.

13. I think if i wrap a wet rag around the top of the rod and cover foot with aluminum foil and fiberglass blanket then just tack weld and not run a bead i should be fine with the heat issue. the rod is about 10 inches long as of right now.

14. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Should be no issue even 5 inches away with a few tack welds.