1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler base building

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ugafanman, Feb 17, 2017.

1. ugafanman

ugafanman New Member

Looking for recommendations on best way to build the top of the skull plate on whitetail shoulder mount. Should I use mache, app yet? I've also seen people use clay. What do you all suggest. Just trying to get started. Want to do it the right way. Thanks in advance.

2. I use bondo for that.

3. ugafanman

ugafanman New Member

Ok yes. Sorry. I didn't specify. I've seen most use the bondo to set them and get them where they want them to sit. But I meant to build up the top of the skull plate once ur ready to sew up the cape around the skull and preparing to do all of your tucking. Do u use bondo to do that part also?

4. I use dry potters clay for that. You can use critter clay, it's just more expensive. I never have used bondo, you probably would not get as smooth a transition.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Bondo works great for that clear up to the burrs. I used to use mache, but then started using Bondo. Clay works well, but takes a long time to dry.

6. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

After bondoing the skull plate on, then yeah, using clay works great. Remember, the clay is replacing the meat, muscle etc.

7. Fix-all. Cheap and easy to apply and smooth out. Hide paste and other glues stick to it very well. I build the skull plate up and prep form and cape and mount the next day as it takes a bit for the fix all to dry.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Search for Cole's mache recipe and use it to rebuild the flesh on the skull, add salt if you want it to kick extra quick. Works good.

9. ugafanman

ugafanman New Member

Thanks for all of the input. Those were some great recommendations. Just want to put out a great product in order to gain clients and make a good name for myself.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

It wouldn't hurt to experiment with all of those. I have and it allows you to form a really good opinion of works best for you.