1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Am I Fleshing Too Thin?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 8Point, Feb 17, 2017.

1. 8Point

8Point Member

I have a question. When fleshing the muzzel on a whitetail I have been noticing that I have been losing quite a few of the long whiskers. I can't keep from cutting through that bulb that seems to hold it in the hide. Am I getting too deep? Is that normal?

2. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

You need to flesh in between each of the hair follicles, and leave those long hairs in place if you want to keep those hairs. It takes practice to not cut through them.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

As Keith said. You are not too thin, just too fast not to cut the bulb. Slow way down and thin around them. I used to cut through them and lose the whisker until I slowed down and carefully thinned around them.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Most customers won't even know they were there in the first place, so if you loose a few its not really a problem. Besides, its where the cob webs start to hang from after a year on the wall lol. Just be a little more careful around the whisker bulb area as said above.

5. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Although I was addressing the OP question, we just shave the whole muzzle down when fleshing and don't concern ourselves with the individual long hairs in the shop I work at. Cat's and canines are the only mammals where we try to preserve them.

6. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

You can always replace them ,probably better to do it that way anyway

7. 8Point

8Point Member

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback. I'll try to slow down a bit and see if that helps. I think that I've been moving too fast for sure.

8. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

How do you replace the deer whisker if you don't have them?

9. I try to grab a bunch in the fall. But I have used paint brush bristles before.

10. nick_3401

nick_3401 Member

easy to get all the whiskers, is pull them out from all your skull/antler mounts deer and poke a hole in finished mount with a pin and use super glue to hold in place.

11. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I carefully shave around them in the haired areas but shave the nosepad itself down really thin and let them fall out. I think hairs sticking out of the nosepad itself look ugly and get coated with the finish gloss and attract cobwebs as mentioned. In competition it is a different story. They should be there.

12. Greg, You can get the gloss off the nose hairs by rubbing briskly with a cloth. I think they add a lot to the look of a mount.

13. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Sounds good.