1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Another Antelope question - dry tanned capes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by boone90, Feb 18, 2017.

1. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

Some may recall that I posted a couple of months ago about 3 badly slipping pronghorn capes that I got back and was unable to use. My uncle tracked down 3 new ones from his taxidermist friend in Colorado and sent them to me. I had expected them to be wet tanned and dried but to my surprise they ended up being dry tanned (soft). Obviously the head needs to be rehydrated but should the rest of the cape be rehydrated as well? If anybody could impart their wisdom of how to handle this situation it would be greatly appreciated as my game head experience is limited and I haven't come across much substantial information with the search function. Also the "leather" seems fairly thick, if I rehydrate the whole thing should I expect to have to shave it? Thank you in advance for your time and help!

2. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Ask the taxi who tanned them. Then follow the tanners instructions on hydration. Most tanners require a hand full of salt to 5 gallons of warm water and leave in for 30 min. Little longer on elk size capes. Drain and bag then let sweat overnight at room temp. You should not have to flesh after a skin comes from the tannery that is their job.

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

As Hammer stated, you will most likely have to do some final thinning of the lips, nose and eyes as the tanneries don't shave right up to them, you and your scalpel need to do that. Yes, complete cape goes in bath, next day stretch out cape by hand to get your neck measurement.

4. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

Ok sounds good, could somebody explain what the reason is that someone would elect to have a cape dry tanned as opposed to simply wet tanning and drying. If they need to be rehydrated either way what is the advantage? I would imagine the extra work would cost more so there must be a benfit?

5. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Shipping and storage purposes. Send 50 capes to the tannery and have them wet tanned then your shipping bill will be 500 bucks. If you don't have freezer space a dry tann will stay good for years in a cool place . If your only sending a few capes then wet tan will be a way to go but be expected to pay more for the weight of the package.

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Dry tans to me are considered finished tan's. Cape/hide is thoroughly broken and the hair/ fur is clean and bright, less shrinkage.

7. Dry tans go thru an extra tumble in the finish stage. This breaks them better and also cleans them more. Also as Hammer stated why pay to ship water? Wet tanned capes can and will mold also if not frozen quick enough.

8. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

Alright, now I know. Thank you all so much for the help.