1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Most detailed fresh water replicas?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Chopperz, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Chopperz

Chopperz New Member

Wondering some opinions here....whats the most detailed realistic looking freshwater replicas out there?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

The one you cast cause it's not a production piece other than that you have to look to fish guys who do casting per say. Dave Cambell, Jimmy Lawence Kenny Bowmen I'm way to busy etc.

3. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

the ones I do myself lol

4. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Private suppliers tend to have the best ones. I also have great luck with Dave Campbell @ davecampbellfish.com and Dave @ envision 3d replicas. Also New Wave in Florida and Warren's on Florida are among my favorite. Gus has some nice blanks in pictures but I've never seen them in person. Rich @angling artisans has amazing stuff as does Randy Budzinski and Kenneth Bauman in Ok.

5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

It's hard to say...depends on how you personally rate the same reproduction as the other person rates it. I just bought a repro from one of the suppliers Jimmy mentioned in his post. Was very disappointed in the quality and was going to ship it back. Decided to make a conversation piece out of it. This way I can at least sell it for a profit.If you want to know who this supplier is email me....I don't want to get into a pi##ing match on here. Good luck..JL

6. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

It all depends on how talented of an artist you are...The blank is a canvas...it's up to the painter to put life into it.
    Probably talking about me I reckon JL?

7. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

yep, in all seriousness what Rich said. But the above mentioned have the best blanks.

8. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

9. AnglingArtisan

Here is my finished out rendition of the blank that JL bought. Maybe he's not talking about me, but I did recently make a transaction with him and never heard any feedback.

Attached Files:

10. I just finished a steelhead and walleye I got from you Rich and my clients were very happy. Needless to say I'll be ordering from you again. I can't post pictures on here but have them on fb. Great looking work on all those blanks Jimmy!

11. AnglingArtisan

Thanks so much for the positive review Randy.
    Your blanks are awesome too; especially that huge egg laden Perch....a pleasure to work with :)

12. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Here's a link to pictures I took of the brook trout repro. You be the judge. JL
    https://1drv.ms/a/s!AtsEdEOw-cAUgSAd5jGVf8eI9uDr

13. Shooterschoice

Shooterschoice work is for people who dont fish

Never had a disappointing blank from lake country replica. I had one that showed up and the head was busted on it (unassembled blank) I called and 2 days later I had a new head.

14. AnglingArtisan

I stand corrected...it was an MBKT-4 that you ordered JL.
    It is advertised as a LEFT TURN
    You are showing pictures of the BACK SIDE!
    Either way, a COMPETENT ARTIST could work with it.

15. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Doh! Now that's there is some funny stuff!!!!

Yes, always happy with your stuff Rich! Pretty funny that I (like most) probably missed this even with your finished pic Rich - lol!)

16. Always enjoyed working with Rich's blanks and was glad to hear he's back in the business of selling them. Although I'm now retired, look forward to working with them again as the need arises.

17. AnglingArtisan

Thanks Marty and Kevin.
    Just so happens that you did an MBKT-3 Kevin...as a pedestal even.
    And JL in case you haven't noticed, I personally do not claim that my blanks are the best, most highly detailed, made of "space age" polymers or any other hype.

Attached Files:

18. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I personally prefer the old school two parts - better anatomy. You don't need those special polymers anyway if your blank doesn't weigh 6X the fish did! - lol! ;) Please add more pike and musky!

19. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

This place amazes me sometimes. :p ;D

20. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

ok, Jim. I'll bite