1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitefish skin mount!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by randy budzynski, Feb 22, 2017.

1. I just got my first whitefish in to mount. Just wondering if any of you have done one and how did it go. I am leaning towards a replica but may try a skin mount.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Randy,

I think a taxidermist of your caliber should be able to do it. Cast head of course. Very gingerly take out the carcass in sections as they do lose scales easily.

3. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

yep, skin is very thin. I have cleaned a bunch.

4. oldyellowdog

oldyellowdog Member

Like I do my crappie, I let them dry out, then skin... the skin is like bull hide. then rehydrate and mount like normal.. Dan

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

How does that effect the fins?

6. den007

den007 Active Member

Dry out? Sounds like a recipe to let bacteria grow. Alcohol will suck water out of the skin, as will alum. Not sure what other methods of drying out would entail, surely not out on the kitchen counter at room temp. I do know alum will tighten things up........unless of course you have access to a weak formalin solution.

7. X2 No problem with rehydrating the fins but you can cover fins in wet towels and plastic bags. (let dry only skin).

8. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

The mention of formalin reminds me of back in the day when I was still teaching high school biology. I had access to formaldehyde and read that it could be used to reduce scale loss when skinning crappies. I tried it. Soaked strips of paper towel in it and laid them on the skin for the prescribed amount of time before skinning. I don't remember if it worked.....just that when it was identified as a serious carcinogen I never used it again.
    Every problem has a solution and many fish taxidermists have developed a program to reduce scale loss on crappies et al to a minimum. Others simply avoid the problem. 'Nuff said." [​IMG]

9. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Salt, lot of salt. Place fish in bed of salt and cover completely with at least 1/2 inch. Leave it for a day or two and then skin it.
    Once skinned throw back in salt til dry. Rehydrate in degreaser and let soak, rinse and preserve as you normally would. I make sure my carved body is exact, so no test fitting is needed. A little TLC when mounting an scale loss will be minimal.

10. oldyellowdog

oldyellowdog Member

x2 fishlanDan, Perca, Pescado... or just fold up the fins, if you spread them, they will dry and split. while it is drying carve the body(very good reference with the fish sitting there). Pescado, I use borax instead of salt. same same Dan

11. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

I have used salt on crappie, white bass, grayling etc for a few hours before skinning and it certainly does toughen up the skin. I've never dried the skin back out after skinning though. I would be interested to know why you'd do that. Not to say it's wrong, I just wouldn't guess it would be a good idea on larger scaled fish.
    Once the skinning and fleshing is complete the scale loss danger should be over. I've just gone to zinc sulfate solution until I'm ready to mount and rinse the skin in a couple soaks of clean water.

12. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Forces out pretty much all oil. Rehydration in degreaser knocks out anything that is left.

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

To each his own but taking the carcass out in sections without worrying about left over flesh works for me. Then scrape the left over flesh mostly perpendicular to the body length.

I do use salt on silvery summer salmonids. Definitely helps. Learned if from a taxidermist in Alpena, Michigan when I was doing my annual summer NG training. Stopped in and he was very friendly.

14. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Cecil was that Ralph?

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Sorry don't remember. I was in the ANG from 86' to 92' so it was a while ago.