1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rehydrating a Whitetail Gamehead

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Andrew M, Feb 23, 2017.

1. I mounted up a nice WT deer shoulder mount but ran into slight problem. The eyes dried just a little off, so I decided to attempt to rehydrate them and correct my mistake. I tried using wet rags, placed over the eyes, and let them sit overnight. This resulted in little to no rehydration and actually caused the skin around the eyes to distort further.

How should I rehydrate it so that the skin is workable around the eyes?

Thanks for any advice!

2. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

We assume you used clay around the eye. It may take more than one night, I usually wrap mine in cellophane to prevent evaporation. Don't worry about more distortion, you'll be correcting all that... good luck.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I put wet cotton balls on the eye area and Saran wrapped them to hold them in. Waited two days and then.used a syringe without a needle to inject water in to deeper areas.

4. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I also use very wet cotton balls and tape them down with wide painter's tape, making sure the area is airtight. Takes a couple days. A while back I put one of my beginner mounts in a barrel full of water, rehydrated the whole thing, and fixed some things. Was kind of surprised that I could get away with that!

5. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Never thought of the cotton ball trick. Great advice!

6. Those are some great ideas that I will for sure try!

Thanks for the advice!

7. brianmrusher

brianmrusher Active Member

Thanks for the advice as well. I don't do much, but mounted a buck Saturday. the bottom eyelid pulled a little (not much), but it irritated me enough that I tried the cotton ball trick I read on here. Let it set for 3 hrs and was able to get it right back to where I needed it. So thank you all for the trick!