1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

please help-turkeys

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RVTwelshy, Feb 23, 2017.

1. I've always been a game/deer head guy and recently started taking turkeys. I sent my turkeys out to be prepped and I was under the assumption that the hides were ready to mount when I got them back, but they were not. I apparently should've added a DP or Borax to the skin. It's too late for that on the 3 I've mounted so far. They are mounted and dry with a slight odor coming from the wing area. What can I do at this point that will bug/odor proof these birds now?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When. I had this problem, I bent the wing out from the body, cut a slit in the back side of the wing and rehydrated a small area and peeled the skin back to to do what ever was needed to fix the oder.

3. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

They may not have skinned and cleaned the wing area all the way out to the end. The wrist area if you will or the part a on a chicken wing you don't eat. There is a lot of meat in there on Turkeys. Some people inject it some skin it have to do one or the other. check that area to see if that's the strongest smelling area. If it's already mounted i think injecting it mat be best but skin them prior is the better way IMO. Good Luck

4. Thanks guys! What about the rest of the skin on the body? Will it be ok, or will bugs eventually get to it?

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Did you assume they were tanned or something of that nature? If they had been boraxed or dp'd they would have likely dried out before they were mounted. You didn't do your research it appears. Now you could possibly treat them with a product like mount medic, I think it is called, that is for bug proofing mounts. You could also make strategic cuts and get borax inside the skin. You may be able to inject mount medic or some other bug stuff. As for the wrists joints stinking, that is fairly common, even when you open them up and clean them out. It should lesson over time, but it also will draw bugs to the mounts. I open them up and often inject a borax mixture in there before I dry and mount the bird.

6. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Are they completely dry? if not I would try and make an incision and get some borax in there. To be honest I've never mounted a bird without rubbing Borax on the skin first. Not sure what will happen bugs are always a concern as thy seem to find any untreated meat left in there. sorry for the lack of knowledge about this.

7. 3bears you're correct. I made a big assumption that they were ready to pull on and mount when I got them back; obviously that wasn't correct. Thanks for the info, I bet I won't do it again ;) I appreciate everyone's input.

8. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Liqua Cure works really well for eliminating that problem ahead of time. Must be soaked in it right after fleshing and cleaning. Used it on the first bird I ever mounted and have never had a problem since or with turkeys I soak in it. I am still a novice myself entering my 5th season now but that is one problem I have eliminated.

9. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

whoever prepped your skins didn't do their job. the wings need to be skinned all the way to the tip to remove every tiny piece of meat. you should have a talk with them about their skills and whatever they charged you.