1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Time Waterfowl Question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by iowahunter222, Feb 23, 2017.

1. iowahunter222

iowahunter222 New Member

So I've done a few pheasant mounts, and now I'm on to trying my hand at a couple waterfowl, specifically geese. On the pheasants all I did was wash a couple times with Dawn dish soap and then soak in Liqua Cure for 24 hours. With waterfowl since they're so greasy will this same process work? Do I need different products to get the grease out?

Also, for Canada geese, what size neck tubing do you use? I think i read somewhere that a inch diameter tubing works best but I couldn't find anything to review.

Thanks in advance!

2. bhymel

bhymel Member

Yes, Dawn is all you need, after the wire wheeling.

Billy

3. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

You have to remove the layer of fat either a wire wheeling or scissors. I used scissors for years before I built a wheel. You want to trim off the main layer of fat then you wiul notice the feathers grow in rows trim the fat from between the rows without cutting the feather butts. On the neck yes 1" will work then add a 1/4 - 3/8 tubing in the front to replicate the trachea or use tubing thats the same size as the actual neck from the bird. I wrap string around the two pieces of tubing some folks use hot glue. The neck is oblong or egg shaped not perfectly round. Takes time but it's doable. Good Luck

4. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

I agree that 1" will work on a Canada.... just did one and used 1''.
    With that said, 1" MIGHT be too big... you'd be wise to measure the neck circumference IMO, per critterstffr's comment "same size as the actual neck from the bird".
    A tad small is not a big deal... too large will give you grooming fits, especially on the black neck of a Canada.
    That's my experience, anyway.
    Good luck to you.

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

use your foam neck as usual and tie a string on head end of neck wire......then neck foam will be looser and easier to put in.......afterward tie a pc of 3/8 cotton rope on string and pull up thru neck skin...doesnt need to be glued or tied to foam but can float

6. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Now that's a slick little trick I'm just gonna have to try, byrdman. Thanks for sharing that.