1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Form size

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ugafanman, Feb 25, 2017.

1. ugafanman

ugafanman New Member

I'm getting ready to do my first wt shoulder mount. My cape is a 7.5x21. When ordering a form. Do I need to go with that exact measurement or should I go a touch smaller. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. I usually do get a form that is a little smaller, but only around the neck. I wouldn't go much smaller if any from the eye to nose measurement. So in your case I would try to find a form that is 7.5 by 20. If I can't, I go with one that fits exactly. This is just my advice, everybody does things a little bit different.

3. Depends on how thin your cape is also. When I started out I used to use the A,B,C measurements to order forms. I found a lot of the time that my forms were always too big. What I started doing was taking my C measurement off the cape and using that measurement as the B measurement in the catalogs when ordering forms. Never had a problem since. If you measure your forms you will see they typically will be larger than they are supposed to be. That could be from reusing molds longer than they should have.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Depends on where your 21 is coming from. If that's a tight behind the ears your form will swell out to 23-25 inches a little ways down.

5. Yes. And to add to what Paul B said in my opinion I think lot depends on where you live and the terrain and food the deer feed on. Here in southern Iowa there are more hills, ridges, and steep river bottoms than in northern Iowa where it is more flat. The deer tend to be more swelled and larger framed in southern Iowa due to the terrain the deer have to negotiate to and from feeding and bedding areas so the B,C,D measurements vary considerably on your average deer cape. Up north where it is flat the B,C,D measurements are relatively the same because they have ease of movement from feeding to bedding areas. My opinion. That is why I tape my C and use it for my B when ordering. For the most part it works for the area where I live. Takes some experimenting.

6. ugafanman

ugafanman New Member

Thanks for all the advice. There will definitely be a learning curve but I think this info will give me a good understanding of where to start and what to look for.

7. Go with your eye to nose measurement. You can build up or shave down the rest to fit.

8. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Its your first shoulder mount. I don't think you want to be building up or shaving down a manikin. Make it easy and enjoyable for yourself. Get a form that closely matches your measurements...go a little smaller in the neck if you have to.