1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

help with competition squirrel form

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Simms Creek Taxidermy, Feb 25, 2017.

1. This is the squirrel form I modified. It was a crawling down left turn, and you can see what it is now. I need some advice on if it looks correct. I am trying to make it look like it is reaching for something. I want to put a branch of acorns for it to reach for. My question is does it look correct, and can I do something else to make it look better? Please share your advice.

Attached Files:

• sq.jpg
      sq.jpg
      File size:
      46.2 KB
      Views:
    • squ.jpg
      squ.jpg
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
    • squi.jpg
      squi.jpg
      File size:
      52.2 KB
      Views:
  2. I would shorten the neck. Squirrels don't have much neck, and you'll want the skin to be loose enough to pull forward on the face. (Here's a link to a good picture: https://image.shutterstock.com/z/stock-photo-grey-squirrel-clinging-to-tree-11220100.jpg )

3. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Be careful of the leg position. They do all kinds of things with their legs but a form sculpted coming down and not up will be different. Reference is the key. Good Luck.

4. Thanks for the advice, I will shorten the neck. That is a really good picture to go off of. Thanks for posting it.

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

also agree neck is to long....one of the best way to always check position is to save the carcass and pose it in the positions you are interested in. if the carcass will easily go into a desired pose then the alive squirrel would have.. there is no better reference, except of course a live one