1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mountain lion fitting

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by mcking, Feb 25, 2017.

1. mcking

mcking Member

Hello everyone. It's been a little while since I mounted a lion up. Anyways. I got a wet tan from the wildlife gallery... I don't have much concern with the fit on the arms/legs, neck, or total length. Those are decently close and only need a small shaving to get fit. My concern is the belly.... I need about 6 inches off........ My main question here is = even though it's a wet tan should I soak the skin to get a little bit more stretch? I wasn't sure if a wet tan should be soaked or not. anyways, any advice would be great!

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

a wet tan should be ready to mount

3. Gary B.

Gary B. Active Member

I always rinse my commercial wet tanned capes in cold water and Kemal 4 for 30 sec. to 1 min.-seem to always get a little more stretch out of them- doesn't hurt them any in my experience- but I use a alum tan tannery

4. vic h

vic h Active Member

I agree with Gary B. If youre hesitant about soaking it too much lay the skin out flesh side up and spray it well with a spray bottle or blot it with a wet sponge especially the lower legs. They tend to dry out quicker during the mount process. Use the spray to keep them moist and pliable while sewing

Vic

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

good to give wet tanned skins a quick shampoo and rinse for any excess oil on fur followed by a tumble to get fur to dry/fluff better

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Soak up a bit if on the dry side. You can add a little baking soda to loosen up the hide and give the belly area a little more muscle on the stretching. Also, cats have a ton of loose skin, ordering a form on exact or over stretched skin will give you a hard time fitting to form. Mast forms are molded from toms, big muscle and full bellies are common, sawsall becomes necessary.