1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Just curious fellas My procedure, your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by WildArt2013, Feb 25, 2017.

1. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

I've mountedd 200 plus deer mounts so far. I dont know if I do things standard as I am self taught and have great success in producing great mounts. Most competition quality. (I'm not egocentric!)lol. But here is my process and it works fine Everytime. Flesh using a filet knife, salt upright to drain almost hard with a dehumidifier, straight to pickle (safetee acid) bout 3 pnds of salt in pickle, 24 hrs,.. Take out drain, rinse x2. Neutralize in sodium bicarbonate and cold water for 20 mins (no salt). Straight out and shave then tan with liqua tan... Never had the first problem and is honestly farely easy. Anyone have anything to add would be appreciated. I don't get a (huge amount of stretch in my hides but order carcus measurements. I roll on. Cold water everytime and my shop stays cool never really warm. That's really all I do. If anyone can add anything please do!! I get Great results everytime knock on wood. There's always something to learn so comment away! Thanks guys

2. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

Guess there's a lot of things I don't do and wonder if I'm that wrong.

3. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

OK maybe not all are comp quality lol. But alot

4. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Member

Lol why are you trying to learn after doing 200+ mounts and getting great results and nearly all competition quality?
    I'm very new to taxidermy, so I don't think it's fair for me to really say anything. But from what I know about pickling is you should pickle for 3 days rather than 1 and return the cape to the pickle for a day after shaving. I know there's more than one way to do it.
    It's cool that you're getting great results though!

Can we see some pics of your deer heads?

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

We all have our own particular procedure that works for us individually. If I tried you system, the first thing I'd do is make changes somewhere...we all modify things to fit our personal preferences! I've done it all...fully tanned hides, wet tanned, home tanned, tannery tanned, dry preserved, and even tried Krow-Tann a few times and didn't like it. My youngest son and I mount hundreds of specimens annually using mostly dry preservative, and don't see that changing anytime soon.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

My Liqua-tanned capes stretch usually 1 to 2 inches beyond green cape stretched.
    Rehydrating after salting and before the pickle is a must.
    I pickle for three days, thin the cape on a Dakota Pro down the the blue. Super thin.
    Back to the pickle for one or two days or a month or two depending on when I want to tan it.
    Neutralize for 30 minutes or so with baking soda and some salt. Rinse well, drip dry and towel dry until tacky.
    Apply warmed Liqu-tan and let it sit over night.
    Apply warmed Liqua-soft oil and let it soak in several hours.
    Put in freezer to mount later or do a quick wash in Kemal 4 and rinse well.
    Drip dry, then roll up in a towel for 20 minutes or so and then tumble in a dryer full of clean dry towels on air dry only for twenty minutes or so.
    Like I said, if I can stretch the green cape to twenty inches, after tanning I will be able to stretch it to twenty one or twenty two inches.

7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

ok your methods are way off.
    Flesh salt, drain next day shake off and salt again hang to dry. ( what your doing straight into the pickle after it's dried is not going to hydrate properly at all)
    Then you hydrate in plain water or you can add some type of relaxer to aid in hydration process.
    After the cape is hydrated generally 12-18 hours sometimes less sometimes more depending on the thickness of the hide.
    My pickle is set at 42% salt and pH of 2 or 1.5 pH should never go over 2.5 where bacteria can grow and you may get slippage.
    After three days in a pickle , hang drain cape for 15-30 minutes you shave the cape and if it needs to be degreased it's done now and then it goes back into the pickle overnight.
    Next day take out drain and then neutralize using a mix of 1 tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate to a gallon of water and I also add 1/4 pound of salt to the mix. Soak in this mixture and this can depend on what type of tan you use so use according to specks but 20-30 minutes is fine for most tans.
    After its neutralized drain for 30-45 minutes and now tan with whatever you are using and follow their directions for a proper tan.
    This is the proper method for any tanning process.

8. DFJ

DFJ Active Member

Sorry Frank but your also wrong.
    Neutralization before tan is not proper for all tanning process's.
    When Using lutan f for example, your going straight from pickle to tan and then raised or "buffered" with the sodium bicarbonate.

9. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

Whatever the process everybody uses, I guess it is mine I like the best, scientifically correct or not. But guess I'm a second guesser from hell. Lol. But there is no way I would ever stretch a deer cape out up to a week long procedure after its been thawed and fleshed. I mount two a week seriously part time. Sometimes 4 on the weekend.. I don't rehydrate during any processs. Never have. Just wondering why that's a must. As far as stretch my customers get what they killed, neck measurements etc. Just saying the way I do it saves so much time and works great. Every once in a blue moon I do have a little slippage here and there, but no more than anyone else. Usually from hand heat. Thanks

10. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

yes I know DFJ that's a general process for home tanning and I gave a general rule as to read directions on your tanning plain and simple READ
    Plus that's how you do liqua-tan not other tans that tell you to do it from the pickle to the tan

11. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Re-hydration of the skin after salting is a very important step when using most tans; ask professional tanneries. Not sure about Lutan, but for sure on liqua tan type tans. This allows the pickle to penetrate better, allowing the skin to "swell" and be shaved easier.