1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Week #43 July 27th 2007- Aug 2nd 2007

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Trashfish

Trashfish It's not easy being me!!

Congrats everyone, The Fish posts this week are fabulous. I especially love UFD's Steelie. I love all his posts, but this is hands down my own personal favorite. The coloration of his photo is what we see here in Michigan the most.I can't wait till next March for the MTA convention to sit through a couple of days of instruction with Dave.

2. DanB

DanB New Member

Its been a while since I posted a pic, so here is a saltwater species (redfish). Photo taken in natural lighting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

If only I could whistle on here. Great looking Fish everyone

4. A 10" Rock Bass replica
    I used the rock that i did the silicone mold making tutorial on.
    Rock bass are very tricky fish to catch the attitude and colors of, I dreaded working on this fish because of that. I think he turned out well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Nice looking Redfish!
    such a neat looking fish.

6. A 22" Male Coho (Silver) Salmon
    This fish was caught in September at the lakeshore of a small tributary into lake Michigan. he has the slightly darkened sliver colors of a lake run coho, with the start of a kype in his jaw. A real gem of a fish when i caught him.

This is one of the first silver salmon or trout I've done. I used Liquid scales (amazing stuff) and liquatex interference colors. AGhhhh scale tipping !!! After a while it becomes relaxing then you try to blink and realize your eyes are dried open :D

The fish is a skin mount with cast fins and head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Thanks Rick for that post. Sorry I didn't get on here to say it any earlier but I was at a great wedding this weekend up in New York. I will make a post about it as it was a fishing wedding or something like that LOL. Great Time............
    Also many thanks for those who like my brown. PS thank Cecil, it's his brown I got.

The NTA show was great with my wife and all the friends we met there. Thanks to all and Congrats to all the winners and those who competed.

8. UFD

UFD New Member

Thanks guys, I’m glad the Steelhead meets with some approval, and WOW, all the fish this week need to be in someone’s museum!

Taxi-lover, I end up using a selection of different eyes, including Flex Eyes, Aqua Eyes, Tohickon 150’s, Tohickon 137’s, and Van Dyke’s Natural Eyes. This Steelhead had hand painted Natural Eyes. I still haven’t figured out a foolproof method of painting them, but usually it involves both airbrushed lacquers and hand painted acrylics.

Terry (Trashfish), I’m kind of looking forward to being in your neck of the woods next March, too, but I'm having a little bit of trepidation. I’ll be nervous as heck hoping I don’t let you guys down on useful info for the real world!

9. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

What nice fish.

Dennis- VERY nice steelhead ...nice tipping.

Josh- That rock bass rocks !! They can be hard to pull of correctly, and you nailed it !!

Angling Artisan- Like your brown trout, wish I could find more trout blanks in those natural poses.....

Fishworship- What a gill ! Very nice.

Andy O- Thanks. We try.

Have a good week ~

10. den007

den007 Active Member

Always enjoy seeing the many awesome fish! I do believe that is one of the best redfish I have ever seen.....very, very nice. I am seeing shimmers and glimmers and lots of neat effects on those scales.

The bluegill has a neat outcome, I am still wondering about those scales though. Is it an illusion, or are the scales that pronouced????

Rock bass......boy, you can't keep -em off the line in these parts. Nice repro. The scales look so crisp.....just curious.....are the fins real? They look so thin and almost like they were backed. Transplants?

11. The fins are all fiberglass.
    The pectoral fin is translucent the rest opaque.

12. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Here is a little male spawing rainbow. It had these monstrous spots instead of smaller black ones. It looks rediculous but it was what reference to the fish that I had. Not a good pic but here it is.

13. possom hawk

possom hawk Luv the smell of black powder in the morning

Just put this 36" Kansas Stripper on the wall today. He has been in the customer's freezer for the last 9 and a half years. Had one good side to work with.

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Be careful Den you might be accused of creating controversy! ::)

15. controversy is my middle name! Buhahahahaaahaa!
    Hey Cecil when do you harvest your big brown and brook trout?

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I was referring to the thrashing I got for asking what others thought of Ortober using flex eyes. ::) I don't know who taxidermy101 is but he came unglued. ::)

I may take some browns out of the pond this fall but they may only be about 14 to 15 inches. Next year in the fall is when they will all come out (Brooks and Browns) in the 4 to 7 lb. range.

17. cool Cecil Ill take note of that!
    oh and about the thrashing. Eghhh, people need to lighten up sometimes. Life is too short to be angry about something 24/7.

My view on flex eyes is similar to Rick's. Its great to use once you know how to paint your own. You cant take a shortcut before you know the way to your destination!
    Or as my Art Professor said. "YA Gotta Learn how to ride the G Da#@ bike before you go jumping the grand Frickin Canyon!!!" lol

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

That's similar to what I used to tell my taxidermy students that were already planning competition mounts before they mounted their first fish. I told them you had to learn to walk before you can run.

19. Debbie N

Debbie N New Member

MA.
    Mr. Campbell Dave, do you ever have the chance to do any brook trout. I would like to see one that you do. Thanks your friend Stan

20. possom hawk

possom hawk Luv the smell of black powder in the morning

This is my second crappie. I know the photos are not great but it is not in it's habitat yet