1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tumbling

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by TrapperCody, Feb 26, 2017.

1. TrapperCody

TrapperCody New Member

when is the best time to tumble your fur if its just going to be a wall hanger? and is it the same if you are going to mount it?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

different variables for that, soft tans are generally done when the cape is 85% dried and usually gets finished in the tumbler. As for mounting, cape tanned then oiled over night you can tumble then for mounting .

3. Well put. This is what I do to.

4. bradenj34

bradenj34 New Member

On a case skin do you put the hide in the tumbler with fur out or hide out?

5. hair out.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

One thing to keep in mind is that tumbling to dry the fur has different requirements than tumbling to achieve softness. You can tumble to dry the fur in a modified clothes drier or a 30 gallon barrel tumbler, however, to achieve softness a tumbler with at least a six foot drop and four feet wide is what is recommended as well as fifty or more pounds of tumbling medium.

7. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

A lot of good info on this Post!

I always emphasize a 6’ High by 4’ Wide Drum. Drumming depends on that 6’ High Drum. NOTHING SMALLER! Tanneries use them to final Tumble their Loads (when 85-95% Dry) for 2 hours, and get them soft and flexible.

Drums require the 6’ drop, They also require 16 rpm rotation. You have to also add 2 Bags (50# each) of Hardwood Sawdust, and as many skins and capes as possible just to make your Tumbling economical and add the Load’s weight to the weight of the Sawdust you use coming down and helping to crush and soften the Load.

Do not be tempted to make the Drums narrower then 4’. Bears Cowhides and Bison skins on the narrower sized Drums have a tendency to fold inwards and become a Ball sometimes that simply rolls around the Drum as it tumbles – you will not get the results you want.

I might add to all this – after Tumbling and Caging your Loads – remove the skins and capes. You do not want them to further dry out or they will again turn hard. All well tanned skins or capes always have a 25% Water residual left in them. It helps keep them soft and pliable.

8. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Thanks for this info Bruce.

9. TrapperCody

TrapperCody New Member

So I'm going to be tumbling a few bison I heard not to use sawdust on them that you will never get it out of the hair what is the best thing for bison?

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer, so, I will through out corn cob grit as a maybe.

11. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

There are quite a few different issues that can arise with the use of a tumbler that have a decent size learning curve. I will give you one free-be.

Don't tumble mule deer or black tails very long. 30 min? The hair will fall out of the throat patch.

Be very careful with each new species you tumble. It might be different than the one before, and cause you big problems. Increase times in 30 min increments.

Too much info on that previous post. Other folks have Too much time and money invested for me to just spew everything I know.