1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BEAR, spring vs fall

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Lifesigns Taxidermy, Feb 28, 2017.

1. I never have any problems getting fall harvested bear clean, fluffy and looking good. I have yet to mount a spring bear that comes anywhere close to the quality of a fall bear. I'm guessing that most of you have the same experiences but wanted to get some input. What say you?

2. John67

John67 Member

I can only speak to rug work. The absolute best furred black beat I took and rugged was a spring bear. I think it all depends on how long the bear has been out of den.

3. ice

ice Active Member

Alaska
    Spring bear are a extremely variable. The hide can be the most luxuriously thick fur, or the bear can have started to rub even in the den. The fur can be "shed" but has not worked loose from the hairs around it, and look fine until it finally comes out during the tanning process. Went to the tannery looking pretty good; comes back terribly rubbed. Late fall will be more consistently good. That said, I have had some spring bears that were show stoppers.