1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hide isn't absorbing tanning cream.. Help please!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Immingan, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Immingan

Immingan New Member

I bought a home tanning kit from sportsmans warehouse. I followed the directions, i have my hide where it is warm but the hide still has the creamy paste. And it's been 3 days! Not sure if I can scrape the cream off and re-do the tanning process? Or should I wait a few more days? This is my first time tanning and I am tanning seal skin, any help would be nice and very helpful. Thanks in advance

2. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Anyway you can post the directions without naming the product? You MUST HAVE A SHAVING MACHINE to properly tan a seal skin, and there is a bunch of degreasing involved. Do you own a shaving machine?

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

What do you get when you combine a Sportsman's Warehouse tan and a seal skin? A disaster. If it's the tanning stuff I have seen there before, it is for small critters and possible a deer hide.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

OK boys, you've had your fun. Al Holmes beat you years ago. He called it "Slip cream". Sorry, but it's not and though I'm not familiar with this brand, I'm sure it's the same as all the others: an acid of some sort mixed with a lanolin based cream.

The HIDE IS TANNED most likely. The cream you're seeing is just there to keep the skin soft and supple. Get you a bucket of warm water and some Dawn. Mix the Dawn in and get it sudsy. WASH THE HIDE. Rinse it. Then spin dry it. If you have a clothes washer, run it through a spin cycle (you might want to use a pillow case to hold the hide if it's your household machine.

Once the moisture is removed you're ready to use it. If you're mounting the hide, final flesh it and mount it. If you're making leather, start beaming the hide to break the fibers. You may want to use some handlotion on the skin side of the hide to keep it from chafing.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Ya, I forgot to finish my thought. When a tanning cream is absorbed to capacity, it has no where to go, so, it just sits on top of the skin or seeps through and on to the surface the skin is laying on. I have had both happen and usually at the same time.