1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Discolored white feathers...HELP

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by brdng154, Mar 2, 2017.

1. brdng154

brdng154 Member

I have a common merganser that I skinned out & froze. I pulled it out today, to find the white feathers tinted yellow/ brown.

I put in on the wire wheel & then soaked in hot water with dawn about 20 minutes...little to no change in color.

I also tried a small area with rust remover & again, no change.

I assume the fat is what stained the feathers.

Any advise??

How do you avoid this?

Thanks

2. nate

nate Active Member

They might not be stained. It could be what his diet was. I've shot them from being white as snow to a yellowish tint to almost a pinkish hue to them

3. BDA

BDA New Member

In my very limited experience it seem sometimes the feathers don't look to have as "clean" of a white coloration when wet. They might brighten up some when you dry it.

Could also be as Nate suggested.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

What did you use for a degreaser? Just a thought when I was testing the EpoGrip Bloodout/Degreaser. The pH was simply too high and the first white birds I did were "flash burned". the alkali actually scorched the feathers and nothing short of peroxide would get them white again.

5. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Most white feathers look yellowish when wet. On commons their bellys can be white to a pinkish color

6. TIM SCHLOSS

TIM SCHLOSS Member

If it is an overall yellowish look it might be the way he is. Most of the ones I 've handled are colored kind of cream color. Almost like a french vanilla ice cream color on belly and sides. Not pure white. Now if the discolored area is at the incision or shot holes thats grease. Try spraying some Shout on the areas and rub it in.Then soak him in shout and cool water for awhile. That usually gets it.

7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Great info guys!!

8. Barna691

Barna691 New Member

If I understand your situation correctly, the bird was white before you fleshed it out and turned "yellowish" over time. I've had this happen to me on several white bird mounts. I've even had it happen on the white wing patches of a wigeon once. In my situation, i've already mounted the bird....feathers were dried and as white as snow. Then, over time (1-2 weeks) as the mount dried, the feathers took on a yellow tinge. I think this was cause by "breaking" the quills during the wheeling process, allowing oils to creep into the feather shaft and eventually up into the feather itself. Anybody else have this happen to them?

9. Following