1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bug proofing tanned cape

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Buckndoe, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Buckndoe

Buckndoe New Member

Hi kinda new to this but I mounted just a few Deer using dp with insect proofing in it but im about to do my first tanned cape mount and was wondering if I should do anything to bug proof it thanks

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

ok not to be a PR here but Dp is not tanning and we don't us or do anything with that stuff. only saying this in general
    As to answer your question in a sense tanned capes generally don't get bugs but you will never have a guarantee on ever getting bugs.
    Any mount is and can get bugs whether we like it or not, proper care you will mean probably never see one. But if you left meat or fat, grease it is an attractant for them.
    You can look in our suppliers catalog and look for chemicals you can spray on or even look in the suppliers (click on the link upper right corner) and look in there for those who just sell the stuff.

3. I always rehydrate my tanned capes in a borax saturate solution. I believe borax to be a super bug deterent but I know a lot of people will disagree with this. I have never had insect problems with any of my taxidermy.

4. i use Knoblocks protex pre soak,, many suppliers carry it, simple and efective

5. Buckndoe

Buckndoe New Member

Thanks for the reply. I used a tannery for the cape and I had it wet tanned so rehydration is not needed just wondering do most people do any type of bug prevention besides rehydrating them in a solution for bugs

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Rehydration is not needed, however, you can still soak it in the Protex for the 15 minutes or so to treat it.

7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

If your soaking capes in borax your asking for troubles with slippage. It's a high pH and will cause slippage.

If you got away without it your real lucky but stay away from borax. It's not a good recommendation for folks to do.

8. Never have had slippage.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Protex pre soak is safe to use as it was designed specifically for this.