1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can anyone shed some pointers on how to do a alligator gar skull mount

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Brian, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Brian

Brian Active Member

I have a friend who aquired some fresh heads and wants me to do skull mounts with them.all I've researched on fish skulls makes me think there basically all cartlidge.but pics i see of gar skulls look more like bone.anyone ever done one who can help me out.

2. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

If I were you I would be sending them to a person who cleans skulls. And make sure that your client knows this up front...just in case you need to CYA somewhere along the way. Because there are going to be some tiny bones.

3. Shooterschoice

Shooterschoice work is for people who dont fish

Gotta use beetles with fish heads

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

x2! They will fall into a zillion pieces if simmered or macerated.

5. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

Bugs are the only way to go.

6. Brian

Brian Active Member

Thanks

7. den007

den007 Active Member

Bugs eh? Well, I would like to contact somebody that feels comfortable with this. We have quite a few bug guys in the area for European mounts that use dermestid beetles. None of them wants to touch a muskie skull I am trying to have done. They say that as the bugs feed, they bump and burrow and knock everything all over the place. One suggested a warm water bath for several months........yeah, not in my house. I suppose an ant hill out West might work, if one could keep other critters out. I am interested if anyone has a positive answer and wants to talk.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Another method of preserving the entire head is to manually clean as much as possible, then go over it one more time! Immerse in denatured alcohol for a month, then allow to air dry. This works well on gator heads.