1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Brush on Tans

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by call of the wild, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Hi all. I have a question for all home tanners. I have been using Pro 1 for 4 or 5 years now, and it works really well. Great stretch. but when it dries, the leather becomes rock hard. Mainly on Y incision...but I use a half circle cut... where the needle has gone thru and left rippling feel to cape. I sometimes use a McKenzie leather oil on cape, to keep it more pliable when mounting. I have also used Trubond in the past as well as EZ 100 which I loved, but I have no place to dispose of waste water.
    So, guess my question is, is there a tan most of you use, that does not get as rock hard when dry, or do some of you use a softening oil after tan is washed out. Quick Rinse... I was thinking of Trubond 1000b ...same price as the 1000, but has oil in it, capes do stay softer.
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

2. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I use the products you mentioned and have not had the hard skin issue. If I may ask, are you pickling, and are you also slowing down neutralizing?

3. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Both the Trubond tanning products you mentioned have oil in them, and both will remain soft after drying, unless you're doing something wrong. The 1000B uses a oil marketed for heavier skiin penetration.

4. To reply to Yox's post. Yes, I use McKenzie safety acid. I do use 10 oz acid to 10 gal. water for 2 white/tail capes, at first, then any other capes to that pickle, I add 2 1/2 to 3 oz acid/cape. I tried the 1/2 oz acid/gal. water, but the cape soaks up 2 to 3 oz. of acid and leaves your ph water to high. Have been doing it this way for years. Also 1/2 lb. of salt/ gal. water. Also, I do not salt cape before pickling.
    Not sure what slowing down neutralizing is. I use the 4 oz of baking soda to 4 gal.water, but just dump cape in for 45 min. I tried 1/2 amount and then waiting awhile, then putting in rest, but saw no different effect.

5. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

If Im reading you right, when I get a skin that feels hard when dry, it seems raw to me. Now Im not saying its a raw skin literally. Just that either the salt didnt do its job, the acid levels werent checked and adjusted daily, or the skin wasnt neutralized effectively. I like to add the soda in three dumps, not all at once. Im not sure thatd make the difference here, I was just mentioning it. I also like to let the skin dry and then rehydrate it for mounting. Id say get in direct touch with oldshaver for the trubond, he knows everything about it, or Paul Cales on the pro 1. Both are good products.