1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Relaxing Question?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by zammerak, Mar 8, 2017.

1. zammerak

zammerak Member

I am currently in the process of garment tanning a few beavers. As I am relatively new to tanning and want to improve, as this is my first go at beaver, the beavers I have are lower quality and were not fully scraped by the trapper. When I received them they were fully air dried and I did what I could on my fleshing beam to remove as much of the sticky orange fat as possible. I had them soak in the re-hydration bath (2lbs salt per 1 gallon of water) for 24 hours, pulled them out and put them back on the beam to remove as much fat and membrane as I could. Next I took some dish soap and a scrub brush and scrubbed the skin side to remove the stubborn bits. I thoroughly rinsed all of the soap out (washed until there were no more bubbles and then rinsed one more time) and returned to the re-hydration bath overnight. I checked them this morning and the cleaner parts of the skin are soft as they should be however the darker areas where the fat was left on is still stiff.

What should I do to help soften them? I am using the Rittle's EZ-100. Should I buy and add "Ultra-Soft" to the bath? Or in this case is the "Super Solvent" the better way to go? Is there something else that will also work?

Thanks!