1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy form raw dimensions

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by J7, Mar 8, 2017.

1. J7

J7 Member

Hello. First time posting occasional reader. I'm looking for measurement data of taxidermy forms. It would be nice for making recommendations to customers and help them understand the size and space certain mounts will take up in there home. Example: A deer comes in with skull and neck measurements X. Find the form that matches. Then be able to tell customer that finished product will be X distance from the wall and Y distance top to bottom. Then they would be able make better decisions on their choice of mount for the location they intend it to go.

I called McKenzie supply and was told they dont have this information in a handy format. They said I could call about a specific form and they would physically go measure it for me. Does anybody know what form manufacturer would have this information listed or available?

2. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Seems to me that anyone who wants a shoulder mount would already have a general idea of how much room it would take up.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Try to have examples of the different poses in the showroom, then they get a sense of how much room is needed. Many folks have the impression that the average deer mount takes up a ton of space, but in fact they don't.

4. J7

J7 Member

Thanks you for responding. I'm really looking for the measurements of the animals or the forms. My example was just used to give a context of the measurements I'm looking for. How do form manufactures know how to keep proportionality for different animal skull and hide sizes? I thought this would be common knowledge among wildlife artists or easy to get from form manufacturers. For a given animal (deer, bear, elk, squirrel, etc ) with skull dimensions X and Y. Is there proportion ratios or listed data that would tell you how tall that animal was, how long their neck would be, length and width of the shoulder cross section?

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It is up to the sculptor to interpret the proportions of the form they are sculpting. So they all differ. How much shoulder is on the form, the position of the neck or head. Keeping skeletal anatomy in mind. No 2 animals are identical. I'm not sure that there is a rule per say or ratio. There are too many variables. When forms are sculpted, they are sculpted to fit a particular animal. Certain things can be swapped out to make the form work for a different animal such as the head.

6. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I always ................

I always stretch my arms out to show the customer how far out from the wall they will be ................

:)

Kerby...

7. TripleC

TripleC Member

Georgia
    J7. I think the hard thing to quantify is the addition of the antlers. The heighth and width of those will greatly affect your dimensions you are looking for and will vary based on the animal. I measured 6 different mounts. Didn't get on a ladder. Just eyeballed with a tape measure. All McKenzie forms. Three Whitetail and three mule deer. I don't have the paperwork to tell you which model.

Rough measurements from wall
    Semi-sneak 28 inches
    Upright and shoulder mount 24 inches

Height (brisket to top of skull)
    Most were around 27 inches
    Semi sneak 24-26 inches

8. J7

J7 Member

Thank you TripleC. That's what I'm looking for. I was thinking about going to local shops and ask if I can take measurements of their work. Not sure how that would go over though. Here, let me waste your shop time, not buy anything, and measure all your stuff. Haha. I think when I need specifics for a certain critter I'll make a post here with a drawing of what I need and maybe one of ya will bust out a tape measure for me. If thats OK?

9. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

LMAO. Kerby you kill me

10. TripleC

TripleC Member

Georgia
    Glad I could help.

11. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I have never had a customer ask how big a deer mount would be on their wall. If your going to do taxidermy for customers a showroom of some kind is a necessary part of the business, whether your mounts to start off with or a few customers mounts also, that will give one a size reference as to how big a mount will be. Now if your talking Elk, moose and the like, different story. 8 foot ceiling heights and antler/horn can limit a pose also. Size of a form won't help you much in those circumstances.

12. Genie

Genie Member

Hee, hee ... I mounted a caribou for my cousin. When he got it home he got it in the front door but couldn't fit it through any interior doorways to any rooms of the house. So the shoulder mount has been hanging on the inside of the front door. He's not interested in altering the antlers. It has made quite a conversation piece. ;D