1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

fleshing furbearers help

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by dmac1175, Mar 9, 2017.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

My business mostly consists of birds and game heads. I am wanting to venture into life-size animals. I use a Dakota 5 flesher for thinning my deer capes. Was wondering if I can/should use that big of a flesher to thin small animals like bobcat, coyote, otter, fox, etc.? I home tan with krowtan.

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Yes, however most smaller mammals don't need shaving like a deer hide. Maybe a little around the neck and that's it.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I answered this post once already where'd it go? Yes you can. I only use my fleshing machine on thicker skinned critters like otter, badger, and beaver, but I use my bird flesher on thin skinned critters such as bobcats, foxes and the like. But like also suggested sometimes the neck and hip area on some thinner skins could use a light shaving.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I used My Dakota Pro on small fur bearers all the time.

5. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Thank you all.

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I pressure wash all mammals down to the size of a squirrel. No shaving needed on medium to small sized mammals after pressure washing. I have a Dakota 5, and would use it if that was my method of fleshing. It is used primarily for shaving deer capes.

7. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Same here Joey. It takes longer to hook the water up and crank the pressure washer than it does to Flesh them . I'll never use anything but a pressure washer .
    Tommy

8. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

What psi is the pressure washer and can you use the same pressure washer on deer capes? I use a pressure wash with 2650 psi on my turkey but it's not quite enough for deer. I have been wanting to but one for deer.

9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You need a rotary nozzle, and a little practice on deer before u do small mammals with it. Idle down the engine or back off the pressure if it's too aggressive