1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Long tail ID

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Wildthings, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

This help is being requested by a southern boy (me) who does not do many of these. I'm thinking hen on the right and juvy male on the left?? No sprigs at all

Attached Files:

2. Wildthings

Belly shot

Attached Files:

3. Deveilhuray

Deveilhuray New Member

I want to give it something to come up with something that must have something right.

4. nate

nate Active Member

???? ??? ????

5. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

l think you have it backwards. Google it and look for Cornell Lab of Ornithology, bird identification.

6. nate

nate Active Member

Wildthings, I'm with Jim on this one. I think the hen is on the left, but I'm not sure. Maybe a few of these sea duck hunters can chime in?

7. Wildthings

Come on seaduck hunters!! LOL pretty sure y'all are correct!

8. HUYE

HUYE Member

Both of them are hens.

9. Hen on right immature Drake on left... All day long

10. The one on the left is definitely a hen - the one on the right looks like it's already going into summer molt - I'd call it a hen also.

11. retriever5

retriever5 New Member

Not sure if this will help. If you go to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology there are some photos of Old Squaws.
    There is a photo listed as Breeding Female which resembles your duck on the right and another photo listed as Non Breeding Female which resembles your duck on the left.
    Good Luck.

12. BDA

BDA New Member

If you still have them, or for future reference, you can find some youtube videos on how to sex them (check for lady parts or boy parts). It's pretty easy to do and then you don't have to sort through conflicting opinions online.

13. HUYE

HUYE Member

Sexing them by dissection is a good suggestion. On some birds its almost a necessity.....whistling ducks ,geese,crows etc. Old squaws can be a bit confusing being that they have five discernible color phases in the hens. Juvenile drakes have definite consistent features about them, those can and do vary from bird to bird depending on life circumstances but are still there. If your not sure of what you have, sexing will definitely determine sex, and is a good skill to have as well.

14. Onthewater

Onthewater Member

Both are hens

15. Wildthings

Well after cleaning and prepping them both, I've determine their sexes by their "Junk" or should I say lack of "Junk" LOL

Both are females.

Thanks everyone for the help!!