1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

19" Crappie Replicas on EBAY??

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Mar 12, 2017.

1. This is interesting!

2. upsmandan

upsmandan New Member

You could be right, but the guy I purchased it from told me it was molded from a rubber toy he had? guess he could be pulling my leg too? :-\

3. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Just stop. You're barking up a tree with some of the best and most reputable fish taxidermists in the world. It's silly and gets worse from there.

5. upsmandan

upsmandan New Member

one of the reasons i said I think that this is not ap and not yours is because this replica measure 29" long and has a girth of 28 1/4 " and suppose to weigh 26 lbs. my question is since this would be a world record that has never been caught, how could you make a mold of it when there never been a bass caught that size ? that's why i think it was made from a rubber toy bass he had. maybe not but that is what he told me.

6. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    Hard to follow what ups-dan posts, as the ramblings disappear soon after.

7. Ron Kelly

Ron Kelly Active Member

One last reply. Not trying to argue. Just trying to clear the air and let everyone know. The Bass in question was cast in the early 80's by me and the guy who taught me , Doug Fisk. It is actually a composite of 2 different fish. I took a cast of the fish and added on 4" onto the girth. If you look closely and are experienced enough to know, you will see the different sized scales on the extended belly that were sculpted in. (Yes, I know how to sculpt and carve if needed.) The fish has been sold hundreds of times as the World Record, but are not the correct demensions. This one was off of 2, different, California Bass and was copied and stolen. It is my mold. Bought one and fits my mold perfectly.The weight of the original before I added the girth was 22.1lbs . I also have a huge Bass Replica that was molded by the legend himself (Bob Berry), that is only 2" less in Girth Just saying. But, I am sure that one is a toy as well. Think what you want.

8. Gary R

Gary R Active Member

UPSMANDAN,
    I'd sure read closely what Ron and others are trying to tell you above. It takes a tremendous amount of time and effort to correctly mold an original fish. And if Ron and other pro's in our group are saying a fish was copied from one of their original fish (molds), I'd believe it. The guys that create their own molds will know if any little scale is out of order, or unique to THEIR copyrighted work. There have been many legal battles over these sorts of things in the past, from deer head forms to fish. If it is not your original work (ie: molding the original fish), you could (illegally) mold fish yourself after copying someone else's work. But that doesn't make it your work or your replica to sell, since that is illegal. Making a mold from someone else's previous efforts is illegal.
    Just my .02-cents. I am trying to learn how to correctly mold my own fish, and it is a LOT of work to get it right. I know why these folks get highly upset when someone copies their work because it takes a tremendous amount of effort to make them!

9. 1fish2fish

Well, you do only have 4 posts. And we don't know your name. That'd help with establishing credentials.

10. 1fish2fish

So you're a proven lurker.....

11. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I've seen some skin mounts bigger than that, right doug?