1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What causes hair slippage and how do I help prevent it?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Boneyard33, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Boneyard33

Boneyard33 Member

I am new to taxidermy and so far I have used a tanning service to prepare my capes. I've noticed on one that I received recently that it's showing a lot of hair slippage. I assume it's not the fault of the tannery so Im wondering what other things contribute to slippage. Could it be the freezing and thawing of the cape, or could the deer left out too long and got too warm prior to skinning? Also, when I receive my capes from the tannery, how long can I keep them in the fridge or should I freeze immediately? Any tips on how to manage capes on my end, would be appreciated.

2. zammerak

zammerak Member

Bacterial growth is what I am told causes slippage. for optimal results, you want to skin quickly and cool off asap. if you think you might get some slippage you can use "StopRot" to kill off the bacteria and buy some more time. Fleshing to "hard" that you expose the roots of the hair will also cause slippage.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Washing the blood out of freshly skinned mammals will go a long way toward preserving the hair. I use a pressure washer on the hair side. You would be amazed at the amount of dirt, sweat, and blood that comes from a deer cape. Salt or freeze fresh skins ASAP. Your tanned skins should be frozen til ready to use. Be sure they are in tightly sealed plastic bags.

4. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Hair slippage is caused by refusing to use Krowtann! Lol

5. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

LMAO!!