1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

taxidermy insurance

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by bob watkins, Mar 14, 2017.

  1. bob watkins

    bob watkins Member

    how many carry it what are you paying on a yearly base. curious mind needs know
  2. I carry a $1 million policy for my business. And I pay about $900 a year for it. Been thinking about getting more coverage though. You should definitely have it if your doing work for other people.

  3. bob watkins

    bob watkins Member

    i do have ins but i feel that i am over paying at 2000.00 a year for about the same as patton22 is there a taxidermist assoc that you can buy through?
  4. Trophy Specialist

    Trophy Specialist Well-Known Member

    At minimum you should have some good liability insurance. I operate part time out of my home, so it is just an addition to my home owners policy. My contract helps protect me against the rest.
  5. I don't know you all's situations and setups, but I work from my home shop on my acreage. I've a $1 million umbrella policy and it only costs a few hundred dollars annually. It's very cheap and covers customers if they get injured and try to sue me. I've also split off my shop from my home owners insurance in case of fire of severe weather event and that's an additional few hundred annually. It's very cheap in the grand scheme of things, and I feel it's very necessary. In addition, I'm currently shopping for disability insurance in case I get injured.
  6. woakley144

    woakley144 Active Member

    I found mine through Hartford, and it runs about 900-1000 year. State Farm, Farmers & Allstate said they couldn't underwirte a policy due to the nature of the business.....
  7. joeym

    joeym Old Murphey

    Same here. State Farm will not cover your losses if your home goes up in flames and they prove you are doing taxidermy...this is not hearsay, its a FACT!!! I have insurance through the Hartford. It's $1150 per year. Liability is 600K.
  8. bob watkins

    bob watkins Member

    thank you travellers is kind of high i look into hartford
  9. I carry mine through state farm, no issues and doing it out of my home. Maybe it varies from state to state
  10. Randy

    Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

    Originally I had a rider on my home owners for my shop and business . Farmers had a annual review and canceled my business rider because I asked for more than $50,000 in coverage. My Farmers policy was worth the the same as a roll of toilet paper. I looked at what NTA had to offer. They had a good policy so I check into it. Found the same policy through my new insurance company (because Farmers canceled me) and it was about 25%less for the exact same NTA policy. It has a $1 million liability, fire and a nice bailes coverage for client property loss. It also has a freezer and freezer contents coverage. I had a freezer go out and lost about 5 deer, 10 elk, LS mountain goat and more. Also nearly lost a LS stone sheep. Luckily I was able to mount the stone with some TLC. It worked out fine. If you do get a policy make sure it has a bailes coverage. Bailes means coverage for other peoples property in your possession. It costs me about $170 per month. The freezer loss paid for the policy for about 3 years. The original policy was a Lloyd's of London policy but has changed companies. I can remember off hand. It is well worth the money.
  11. well said Randy!
  12. bob watkins

    bob watkins Member

    thank you all silverwings i was 82nd also
  13. JerseyJays

    JerseyJays Well-Known Member

    I had allstate for homeowners.
    They wouldn't cover business attached to my home. I could have built a separate building to be covered, but that wasn't gonna happen.

    I called numerous companies, all had the same issues.

    Farmers 1 agent said no, another said yes.

    My new farmers policy starts tomorrow. The agent said as long as they cover the house and business I can use them.

    I can't help but to think I'm being tricked and not really covered. I don't trust the salesmen/agents. They can answer questions however they want, but I have no proof of their explanations.

    I had to sign a paper for my homeowners saying there is no business in my home.
    I told him I want that to say yes there is, but he said it means "is there a business not covered" I have business coverage through them.

    I figured I have both policies through them with the same address on them, so hopefully I'm covered.

    I'm not worried about my business coverage, I'm worried it will void my homeowners.

    Too many snakes in the world. Never know if wool is being pulled over your eyes.

    Insurance for business can be as low as 525 I think.

    I didn't go cray on bailes coverage like i originally planned on due to the fact I didn't know how to value antlers. If they all burn up, how much do you get? They are 1 of a kind not replacable.. would they pay me to refund my clients, and give them a few hundred each for the losses, and would they pay me for the work I won't be able to make my income that season? DOUBTFUL

    I took the minimum bailes, figuring I wouldn't get much of anything for antlers.

    I took extra for freezer damage in case I need to buy capes in a freezer outage.

    I covered my showroom mounts and tools

    I got liability in case someone hurts themselves.

    I'm not covered to give leasons, or have an apprentice or employee.

    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  14. joeym

    joeym Old Murphey

    None of us really know for sure what coverage we have until the day we need it. I hope I never need whatever coverage I have.