1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

TAX fraud !!!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael j, Mar 16, 2017.

1. well we have beat krowtan and shipping cost threads to death, let's talk about tax fraud,, I for one am on the books full time this is my only job. I have the sales tax ID# and claim my income,, I have just found out my closest compatition only 2 miles from me does not collect the sales tax or claim the income, and he does 30 heads a year along with fish birds and large lifesize, He also under cut's my pricing taking work from my studuo. I think if your going to play the game you should play by the rules, Some day NYS tax and finance may get a call,, if they just go to Mckenzie supply they will have all the names of guys who are under the table,, that is my rant for the day,!!!

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I hear ya but, unless they are attempting to write off expenses for operating a taxidermy business, and not reporting income, there isn't anything for the government to investigate, other than an average audit. If he doesn't have any paperwork, they can't hardly prove a thing.
    They would need a warrant to get the supplier's customer list, so that isn't likely, and the warrant wouldn't be a "Fishing" license for the IRS. They would need to be targeting someone or something.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Even when I did taxidermy for friends and relatives, I claimed the income, cash or check, then all through the full time era and now back to very part time. It brings me piece of mind and it is the law.

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Working under the table around here is the name of the game, and not just taxidermy. It includes but not limited to construction, auto repair, lawn services, etc I know of several who are under the table while collecting social security disability, food stamps and anything else they are "entitled" to. Don't expect SS to help you though. You need their SSN to get them to investigate, at least that is what they told me. So how am I supposed to get that? Steal their mail so I can get three years, a criminal record and lose my job.

Sucks being legit, huh? Do the right thing and get screwed in the end.

5. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

"Sucks being legit, huh? Do the right thing and get screwed in the end."

thats why congress exempts themselves from the laws they hold us accountable to.

6. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Tax returns are a pretty personal thing. Unless you've seen his return, how do you know for certain what he is or is not claiming? Just askin'

7. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

Reporting some drunk driver swerving all over the road....no problem
    Reporting your neighbour who is beating the hell out of his kids....no problem

Reporting on someone who is not collecting tax...seems slimy....Kind of like ratting out someone who is harboring Jews in Nazi Germany. I know it is not that extreme but, It feels weird to me and maybe it should not. If the government had totally clean hands, then it would be a more black and white situation.

I do collect sales tax which is another 13% added to the customers bill.

8. It's never a bad idea to do the right thing. We humans tend to compare ourselves to others in order to justify our own actions. It's definitely frustrating when people cheat the system. Personally, I try to effect the things in my control and not worry about the rest. I don't like most of what our tax dollars support, but I pay my taxes because it's the right thing to do.

Proverbs 12:19 Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue lasts only a moment.
    Romans 13:8 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

9. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Agreed, its the world we live in. I know guys that make more during their 2-day weekend than they do during the normal 5 day week job. These guys just do handyman work
    cash in and out. They just say do you want the cash price or the check price , what price do you think most people take?

10. msestak

if you knew someone was on Social Security Disability and working, would you turn them in ?

if you knew someone was fraudulently collecting Welfare, would you turn them in ?

Me = YES (both counts)

they are raping the system and taking from people that rightly need it.

11. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I had to have my septic system replaced last year. The guy I was going to have do it at the last minute told me he needed to be paid in cash. His reason was he did not have a business account and it was "too hard to cash two party checks." I had him figured out in short order. He was on SS and didn't want the money reported by the banks as a deposit connected to his SSN. He didn't even have business forms made out. Just a little receipt book you can buy at Wal-Mart.

I told him check or nothing. I even offered to get a certified check. He wanted nothing to do with that. I called someone else and had them put the system in.

I am telling you though, SS will not do anything unless you have their SSN. They just don't want to bother. I know. I tried to report my neighbor for working under the table. They wouldn't do a thing.

12. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

If you want .........

If you want to "stick it to the man" .......... just do what they do in my town ..... have garage sales EVERY DAMN WEEKEND!

:)

Kerby...

13. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I know people that work at both these places and there just as crooked as the ones making claims.

14. Taxation is theft. 30 deer heads a year is poverty level work at best.

15. DL

DL Well-Known Member

We had a Iraq guy try and rent a house. Haida fake SS card. Notified FBI during O's reign. Nothing they could do about it.

16. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    X's 2! Even at a $1000 a head if he has a family! There would have to be something else more important to get the IRS interested in him! Like maybe being a Tea Party conservative!

17. the guy I am talking about , is retired his wife is in the banking businss, they have lot's of money from their past family business's , my point is he is taking work from my studio. because he has a lower price on his mounts,, he does not need to work, I on the other hand have a disabled wife and I am the bread winner in the house hold, I don't like collecting the sales tax but it's state law so I do it, I could care less if he is claiming the income , but he should be collecting the sales tax if your doing business,

18. GWebb

GWebb Well-Known Member

We had numerous inmates at a Correctional Facility fill out tax returns one year. It was caught by the internal investigators when the checks started coming in. The IRS was contacted, they weren't the least bit interested in prosecuting, the total sum was over $400,000.00 and that's the reason that was given as to why they weren't interested in pressing charges, said it was too small of an amount.

19. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

State tax collection is very different than federal

20. msestak

maybe they have the tax figured into the cost of the mount and just pay it when they file ?