1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Velvet antlers and Krowtann

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Tannertroop, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Tannertroop

Tannertroop Member

Has anybody every tried preserving velvet antlers by submersing them in krowtann. After 3 days then pull them out, neutralize and hang to dry. Just a thought. If they are full of blood they could be injected with denatured alcohol to get the blood out before soaking them.

2. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I haven't but I don't know if I would mess with the Krowtan on antlers. I would just buy the Antler in Velvet tan. I think it is a Knoblochs product. I have always used it and it does a fine job. Can do multiple racks with one quart too.

3. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

I've done it several times. It really works good on velvet that is just about to shed.

4. Bulldog 32

Bulldog 32 New Member

Mr Carter or anyone else that has done this before would you be so kind to let us know your process. I actually have had a bueatiful buck in full velvet that was killed in July by a vehicle here in Michigan. I would like to try the krowtann way of preserving the velvet. Thank you for your time.

5. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Bulldog32, a deer from July wouldn't be just about to shed its velvet, so I'm not sure it would be a good candidate for the Krowtann. I'd have it freeze dried.