1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Egg or Brain Tanning versus Chemical Tans

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by EastTexasVulture, Mar 18, 2017.

1. EastTexasVulture

EastTexasVulture New Member

Saw some videos on youtube about egg tanning, and how it was a replacement/the same as brain tanning. I know brain tanning works, just not sure about egg tanning. Also as a 1-2 hide a year person, tanning hides I never plan to sell, would brain tanning give the same or better results to a chemical tan (ive seen a few brands of tanning stuff just by skimming on here)? The hides I'll be tanning will be goat, if it makes any difference.

2. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

It's 2017. Chemists and tanneries left cave men far behind centuries ago.

3. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

As far as taxidermy purposes go Rick Carter nailed it right on the head, for garment use and you must do it your self
    I'd have to say brain and egg tanning is hard to beat if done right and you smoke the skins after staking for color and also
    as a water relent. If you are doing it all by hand be prepared for a physical work out.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

ez-100 is what you want to use for goats but make sure you get the lanolin out.

Brain tan is probably the best but you also need to smoke them. Stick to synthetics

5. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

I guess some people had rather dig a ditch with a sharp rock than put gas in the backhoe.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Those are the same people that would rather hunt with a long bow than a compound or a flintlock than an AR, etc.

I have buckskins that were brain tanned and smoked, which are soft and supple even after I wash them in the washing machine year after year. The buckskins I had made for me with buckskin from a tannery didn't fair so well.

I see no advantage to brain tan for wall hangers or any taxidermy. If you don't plan on wearing them in the weather, I would send them to a tannery or get a tanning kit from a taxidermy supply company, unless you just want to experience brain tanning.