1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's the future of taxidermy?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Cecil, Mar 19, 2017.

1. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Fixng a fence isn't rocket science. lol We hunt a 700 acre farm close to us. Me and my sons fix fence, work in the hayfields , yesterday I spent all day
    sorting 190 head of cattle. The labor involved gets us free rein on the farm to hunt , cut firewood ect. Everybodys happy in the end.

2. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

Andy, There may be some people (hunters) that did not grow up on a farm that could fix a fence properly but I bet a least half the "hunters" are useless as t_ts on a bull. They are more trouble than they are worth. Most times any work they TRY to do would just have to be redone again. That is speaking from experience.

Most have no idea what farming entails, They think how hard can it be to be a farmer, well the farmer thinks ..... you are just stupid city folk. Why should any land owner let you hunt for free? You have to pay to do everything else. If you pay, the farmer has some extra income, thus he is less likely to sell his farm off to some developer.

I do own 100 acres and I do pay money to my neighbour farmer so I can hunt his land too.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, all the orchards and timber companies had signs up that said welcome all hunters. Now they say access to the highest bidder. We used to take our guns to school so we could leave as soon as school was out, for the woods. Now you can't have a gun within a certain distance from a school. When I was young, when a girl in her early 20's was asked about hunting she would say; how else are you going to get meat other than the supermarket. Now, as was seen on a news report, she says; there is no reason to hunt and kill animals when you can get it from the supermarket where they manufacture it.
    Each generation is further removed from hunting and the perception of it increasingly is negative.

Taxidermy on the other hand seams to come up with ways to appeal to the public enough to keep it going. There has been an upswing in taxidermy due to rogue and non kill or, as much as I hate the term, ethical taxidermy and even faux taxidermy is becoming popular. I see that Gwynn Stephanie has a real deer head hanging in her house. Never thought I'd see that. Thanks Blake Shelton. Hunters will always been the core of taxidermy and as long as you have hunters you will have taxidermy, although, I suspect that forms of taxidermy could exist even if all hunting ceased.

4. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I agree with what your saying , my farmer friend wants the labor more than the money says it goes farther. As far as fixing fence goes , you can be taught to
    do it just like everything else. If you cant be taught that you dang sure aint going to carry a gun on my property. Fencing is about the easiest chore there is.

5. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I would suspect that most people frequenting this forum do that in one way or another. Other than friends in my taxidermy circle exactly ZERO people that I am involved with in my weekly life do any outdoors activity other than maybe camp.

Outdoors television does nothing to promote our activities in a good light or even show what's involved real pursuit. On top of that there are ZERO mainstream channels showing any outdoors activities. ESPN at most.

That's why I say the future is sketchy at best. I am only making observations with an eye towards the OUTSIDE of my profession. I know what's going on inside. Our future depends on the outside world as we are extremely outnumbered if it comes to a vote, even if that vote is a question of "morals."

I feel like our industry(including hunting, fishing etc.) is somewhat like the democrats this last election. We live in our insular worlds and talk to like minded people and think THAT is what everyone thinks or cares about . Well you see how that works. think they were surprised? ;D

The court of public opinion is a powerful place. Somebody in this thread made a comment about "Sad Puppy Videos." What is more effective? Sad puppy videos, or shooting three bears in a half hour program while they eat out of a garbage can. Not judging, just sayin'.

Something as innocuous as Chief Wahoo has a whole country up in arms. It happened like a beaver gnawing on a tree...chip by chip by chip. That's how it's happening to us.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Jim, I see what you're saying, but I cannot reside in the "Give up crowd". It is an uphill battle, I get it but, it is a battle that must continue. When we as sportsmen and women perpetuate the doom and gloom, that I see too often in reference to the outdoor pursuits, we feed the fires for the anti's.
    We see it posted here all the time "Join your state association", but what if anything are these state associations actually doing to promote and improve public perception of our way of life? Please don't say that they are educating aspiring taxidermists to do a better job, as important as that is it doesn't do anything for the rest of us. In a way can actually work against us on a business level. This is one of the issues I have with associations.
    I encourage folks to do their research and support organizations that fight for and promote the things that are important to them. These organizations have a bigger collective voice than one or a few.
    Any who back to the customer side of this discussion, as your customer base changes and evolves, so must you to stay relevant. You have to actively pursuit good customers, they are out there. Sure maybe the pool is smaller than 25 years ago but it still exists and actually maybe increasing in a different direction.

7. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I don't think any of US reside there. I was just answering the OP honestly about what I see.

8. This is an interesting question regarding the future of taxidermy and there have been many excellent points made here. I've been a part-time taxidermist for over 30 years and have closely watched the trends in the industry. One major factor that I believe is coming into play is that proportionally fewer sportsmen and sportswomen are having their trophies mounted today. I have a fairly wide circle of friends and associates and very few have had a game head mounted in recent years, at least that I know of. I can't think of anyone I know that has had a pheasant mounted in the last 10 years. Same with skin mounted fish. Part of the reason for this lack of interest, or so I am told, is that hunting and fishing enthusiasts are more conscientious of how taxidermy mounts fit within the decor of their homes. There was a time not long ago when a full shoulder mule deer or elk mount would occupy the most prominent place on the living room wall, often times without input from the lady of the house. More frequently I see existing high quality mounts being relocated to so called "man caves", above stairwells, and worst of all, work shops and garages.

I think the increase in popularity of European mounts is due to several things. Customers have told me they want something that is simple and easy to take care of yet tastefully displays their trophy. They usually don't even want a plaque or shield attached to the skull. I get their point, European mounts are lighter in weight than full shoulder mounts, they don't stick way out into the room, and are easily dusted when necessary. A simple bleached skull with antlers/horns attached apparently works well in a lot of interiors as this is what many people prefer. I'll add that no one ever indicated that they could not afford a traditional mount and that they had to settle for a European mount instead.

Please note that my observations are from the intermountain west only and may not represent the country as a whole.