1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Low ph

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Hunter92854, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Hunter92854

Hunter92854 New Member

What do I add if the ph is too low? More acid? Or salt and water?

2. zammerak

zammerak Member

baking soda

3. Hunter92854

Hunter92854 New Member

Ph is low on the pickle. Add acid?

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    the pickle should have the Ph of 1 to 2 correct? What does your's read? If it is higher than that say Ph 3 or higher you need more acid to lower it to between 1 and 2.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you want a lower pH, add acid. If you want a higher pH, add baking soda.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    A new development has come up here, Thanks Bruce Rittel. Bruce corrected me on what I thought I knew, thanks again There are some acids that run a higher Ph. I didn't know that. What kind of acid are you using and having issues with?

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

His question was" what do I add if the pH is too low?". The simple answer is, you add baking soda to raise the pH.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are correct Tanglewood. That is the simple answer but I think there is more to this than that, I may be wrong but, how do you get lower than 1 Ph to begin with? The OP dropped out of discussion it appears so we won't likely know what it is exactly they were doing. Not a waste though thanks to Mr Rittel I learned something. Thanks again.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Ya, can you get lower than 1? I have read where some who home tan think anything below 2 is too "hot". I have pickled at 1.5 up to 2.5 with safety acid achieving about the same results.