1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Eddie the chimp - response to John Daniel story

Discussion in 'Taxidermy History' started by PA, Mar 22, 2017.

1. PA

PA Well-Known Member

First off, thanks for posting the story JJ - very interesting.

I happened upon another primate story from New York - this one at Buffalo Museum of Science. There was a very famous chimpanzee named Eddie who lived for decades at the Buffalo Zoo and then became a mounted animal at the museum there. Marlin Perkins, of fame at the St. Louis Zoo and 'Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" (for us old guys), began at Buffalo and Eddie even gave him a send off http://buffalonews.com/2015/11/11/buffalo-40s-zoos-marlin-perkins-eddie-chimp/
    [​IMG]

Eddie was a darling in his early years entertaining children
    [​IMG]

http://galleries.buffalonews.com/default.aspx?id=3644#/25 - facebook page.

Now Eddie is a mounted piece.
    [​IMG]

At the Carnegie we have a Silerback Gorilla named George who lived at the Pittsburgh Zoo and was mounted close to 40 years ago by Otto Epping and Daniel Oppliger using hair transference for the head and feet. I found a couple images of the diorama created by Pat Martin to hold this Gorlilla. I think setting a primate into a natural habitat gives the animal more class.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

elciervo likes this.
  2. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

Amazing PA! It seems there ought to be a more descriptive expression in the English language for you but for the life of me, I have no clue as to what it could be. What you've given to the industry and for so long with regard to our legacy and heritage have had no limits. To me, you have always been at the core of facts, evidence and research into our past. "Old George" here is but just one of the many historical windows into our past that you always seem to leave crystal clear for us. I am humbled by your appreciation of "John Daniel", only let me remind you dear friend, YOU are the encyclopedia, and because of you, our realm as taxidermists will live on well beyond our years.

3. Jim Taxidermist

Jim Taxidermist Active Member

James Dorr mounted Eddie at the Buffalo Museum of Science and james Dorr just passed away last year i was a friend of him he taught me lot.