1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help with my ear position

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jordan Park, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Active Member

Hey guys, I have a 8400 series semi upright Dennis Behn form that I just put the ear butts on and they look off to me. I feel the ears should be closer to the antlers. The deers right ear is back and the left ear is half back.
    What do you guys think? Should the ear butts be set higher, I put them on the form where the ear butt marking is. Maybe some forms aren't 100% accurate and it's up to me to make it right? Lol. I thought the top of the ear butt should be in line with the top flat part of the form where the antlers sit. Is that right?

Thanks,
    Jordan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Put the antlers where they belong and it should look more like it is supposed to. If you didn't take proper measurements or you didn't have them then follow the guidelines for setting antlers, that should be able to find here, if you search. PS The antlers are too high and wrong angle.

3. Jordan Park

I struggle with getting the antlers positioned right. I set them twice. I forgot I had the measurements so after I installed them I checked and they were 2" high from tip of antler to tip of nose. I adjusted them and got the correct measurement but I thought the antlers looked a little too angled down. Is that what you see 3bears?
    Should I cut more off the bottom of the skull so the antlers sit lower than lean the antlers back a bit?

4. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

This should help you with positioning your antler
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,55400.0.html

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yes, the first few inches of the beams typically appear to be an extension of the slope of the muzzle. They definitely need to be tipped back.

6. Jordan Park

Thanks Andysmith and 3bears!

The first time I set these antlers I followed that angle and the tips of the antlers to tip of nose was 2" too far. So I ruined the line of angle which 3bears picked off right away to get the measurement right.
    What should I do to get the antlers tilted back but not lose the antler to nose measurement?

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Draw a line from the front corner of the skull plate to the back of the skull and cut that it will get you close, as well cut the front to match the angle of the form.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Bring the bases closer to the forehead and then tip them back. You can cut the skull plate in front of the bases or remove some foam from the forehead.

9. Jordan Park

How's that? Does that look right or should I tilt the antlers back more? Should I raise my ear butts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Your antler set is much better. Now you need to raise the ear butts. Keep checking reference and you'll get there

11. nelsondeerfarm

nelsondeerfarm me and THE BUCKMAN !!!

I would be taking those ear butts up. When studying reference of ear butts, most cases you'll notice the bottom of the ear butt is in the center of the eye( if you draw a line across from the front corner to back corner of the eye). A person can hardly give better advice than a good ol reference photo can show. It's great to ask questions but be sure to always double check reference and anatomy. It is a process just to learn to study pictures and anatomy, but I guarantee you will get better if you use those resources. No one gets it all right the first time, it takes a lifetime ::) I included this picture to help show what I was trying to explain. Hope it helps
    [​IMG]

12. Jordan Park

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help! I thought for sure the ear butts were low, even though I put them where the form showed. I looked at pics and thought the ear butt being inline with the cheeks seemed weird! Cape is going on tomorrow evening, hope that goes well! :)

13. TripleC

TripleC Member

Georgia
    Good luck Jordan. Looks a lot better after the adjustments. Send some pics after the cape goes on and it's still wet.

14. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Your antler set is too high in the last 2 pictures, needs to come down 1/2" or 3/4" and raise your ears up or you will have a Chinese eyed deer slanted up in the back. The muscles from the top of the ear butts attach to the top of the skull and wrap around the base of the antler bases. The ear butts need to be rotated counter clock wise a bit also, unless your going for the aggressive look. Even then the butts are in the wrong position.

15. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Jordan,
    Everything that Paul B just said..., but I'd like to clarify. Referring to the pictures in your last post... Paul means that your left ear butt in the second photo needs to rotate counter clockwise. The right ear butt in your first photo needs to rotate clockwise. You prolly understood... just making sure.
    Also, Before I skin the head I measure the distance from the caruncle to the closest point on the edge of the burr (both eyes... it can and often is different) with a caliper. Only takes a second and I find it very valuable. I just checked my records and the last ten deer I did (20 measurements) the shortest measurement was 2 1/4 and the longest was 3 1/8. That should give you SOME IDEA on your deer, BUT I would suggest you measure off your cape as suggested in the link that Andysmith provided.
    As Paul said, your antler set is still way too high and I think even a bit too far back. Take the antlers off the mannikan. Put the cape on the mannikan for a test fit. Put your antler set back on. Then while holding the eye hole in the proper location, see if you have enough hide to reach your antler burr. I don't think there's any way you have enough hide to reach the way it is now. This will also show you just how tight the top of that ear butt ties in under/behind that burr. Hope this helps and doesn't just confuse you more. That cape won't lie. ;) Good luck

16. Jordan Park

Thanks Paul and Tom! I got the cape oiled and just put it into the fridge. Decided I'm going to wait for the morning to put the cape on rather than doing it at 11pm lol.
    I raised the ear butts and took your guys advice and rotated the ear butts. I'm confused why the form has the ear butt cut outs so low on this manikin.

When you guys say my antlers are still set too high do you mean the antlers are tilted too high or there's actually too much skull bone on the bottom of the skull and needs to be cut down?

I really appreciate the help I'm getting on this mount!
    Tom, I'm taking a lot more measurements the next time I get a head in!

17. Genie

Genie Member

I realize that you were only asking about the ears & antlers and you may have finished up the eyes since your photos were taken but be sure the eyes are ready before the cape goes on.

Attached Files:

18. Jordan Park

LOL! I know that!!

19. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Too much skull. Cut it down and like I posted before cut some off the front of the skull to bring it closer to the forehead. This will also make it so your ear butts don't have to be raised as much.
    You see, the ear butts relationship to the antlers is the problem here. Also, a form is a sculptor's interpretation of how things should be. As the antlers are cut down, it will bring them closer to the ear butts. I always rasp the form flat at the ear butts and rebuild them to where I want them to be.
    The antler burr should be closer to the eye. They should fall between the 10:00 to 11:00 position above the eye.

20. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Very well said, Tanglewood... couldn't agree more.
    Yes Jordan, you still have too much skull.
    A band saw and belt sander make this process go quickly, but a hand saw and rasp will do the same thing. You'll prolly find it to be a bit of trial and error til you get it just so. If you cut a bit too much?... well, that's what they make popsicle sticks for ;D
    Go to mckenziesp.com. scroll down on the home page and you'll see a "how to" button. Just above that there's a bar... click on "on-line" videos. Then click on the videos button. Then click on McKenzie whitetail ears. It might help you with that ear but position a little.