1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My Second deer mount ever...critique

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Boneyard33, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Boneyard33

Boneyard33 Member

Long story short...I thought I was doomed on this one. The cape was quite a bit too big for the form and things just didn't line up. I used a wireframe cape stretcher to help get the cape on easier...maybe it stretched it too much or maybe I just bought the wrong size form. Regardless, I was really surprised at how well the mount turned out considering this and some hair slippage. Definitely got some improvement to do...still cant figure out the dang tear ducts for some reason. But I did learn a few more things that I will carry on to the next one. If there was one thing you guys think just doesn't look quite right, what would it be?

Attached Files:

2. Boneyard33

Boneyard33 Member

side view

Attached Files:

3. That is a very nice mount for your second one. Something I see is that the right ear butt does not have a smooth transition to the form. I don't know about the left one as it is not pictured. It is a very very nice mount. Keep up the good work!

4. Genie

Genie Member

Not bad ... not bad at all. A little bug-eyed perhaps. Could the eyes be set too far out? Maybe the brow could have been built up more.

Attached Files:

5. Bryan B.

Bryan B. New Member

WI
    That's looks nice for a second deer but there are a few things that jump out at me that don't look right.

The ear butts need improvement.

On the bottom eyelid, the lowest point should be more toward the middle of the eye - yours is too far back.

At the back corner of the mouth, the hair should kind of roll down and around like a cow lick. The back corner of your mouth is a little scruffy looking and the skin is out of alignment there.

Something is not right above the eyes. It looks like you added a slight crease there and the area above the eyes looks too swollen. I'm not talking about the actual eyelid crease, it's above that where it doesn't look right.

On the left ear, the hair above the notch of the ear is sticking out too much, it should roll back into the ear a bit.

McKenzie carries a WASCO video by Cary Cochran about reading reference. I highly recommend it as I found that video to be one of the most helpful videos when I was learning. The video focuses on deer but what Cary talks about can be used on any animal. It's all about shapes and alignment.

6. Boneyard33

Boneyard33 Member

Thanks for the advice everyone..here are a couple other pics

Attached Files:

7. Boneyard33

Boneyard33 Member

-

Attached Files:

8. I was looking at it again and just had to tell you again how good it looks. I am looking forward to seeing more of your future mounts.

Josh

9. Boneyard33

Boneyard33 Member

Thank you Josh, I appreciate that!

10. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

You did a great job for your second deer ! Study reference and have it there to look at on the next one . Get a hold of your state's association and join up . Put one together and get it judged, you won't believe how much it will help !
    Tommy

11. Boneyard33

Boneyard33 Member

Thanks Rogers.
    Maybe this should be a new thread but speaking of being judged and competition mounts...I assume they are basing their judgements off of the anatomy of real whitetail deer characteristics. I think that is probably a given. As a beginner in taxidermy, seems to me like there would be a big difference in the style and look of a competition vs. commercial mount. In my opinion, a real whitetail deer is not that attractive. For the most part, mounts are more appealing than real deer in my opinion. So my biggest question would be at what point do you go from trying to replicate real features of a live whitetail to using your own creative tastes to make the mount more appealing to the average person? While I may be a new taxidermist, I am an artist and have been drawing whitetails since elementary school. I can tell you there are things about a whitetails anatomy that only a taxidermist would know. Most hunters and even myself really have no idea what a real live whitetail looks like. So why not create a mount that is appealing to the customer vs trying to be anatomically correct all the time?

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Some taxidermists will only mount it if it is 100% life like. Some will do what ever flights of fancy the customer wants regardless of anatomy and some are in between. The customer will use which ever suits them. My show room only had realistic mounts in it and that's what I had to offer. If they wanted something different, I had a short list of taxidermists that I recommended, that would accommodate their needs.

I had many reference pics on hand and explained to them that what they wanted didn't represent how the anatomy most commonly worked and in some cases it was impossible. If they said they didn't care, I gave them a card of one of the taxidermists I thought was the best candidate depending on how far the particular taxidermist wanted go, so that there was a match with customer to taxidermist.

Some of those same taxidermists refused to do any novelty mounts like deer feet gun racks, jackalopes ,painted skulls, and such, and since I don't mind doing them, they would refer them to me.

13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I do only commercial work, no competition. Your deer looks great, especially for your second I wouldn't want my second one to be photographed!

14. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Exactly what Tangle wood said ! As natural and lifelike as possible for me also . I don't do bulging vines and ripped up muscles cause its not natural . I explain this to customers and show them the difference and what I'm trying to do in my shop .
    Tommy