1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What else do I need?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Dwb5, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

I think I almost have everything to mount my first deer. I have critter clay, hide paste, all my tools, & things like that. I need paint, eyes, ear liners, thread, and a form. My question is. What color of paints do I need and what are the best and easiest ear liners to use. And can I use fishing line for thread or do I need to order thread? Thanks for the help.

2. The main colors of paint I use are black,flesh,light pink, and brown. More people can add to this list. As for thread, I wouldn't use fishing line. I prefer to use waxed dental floss. It is avaliable through Mckensie taxidermy supply. There are a lot of different kinds and a lot of different opinions. After you do a few heads you will find out what you like best. I hope this helps.

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

As for thread, Fireline fishing line. Comes in 4 pound test in charcoal and a off white they call crystal, good for facial areas. I use the 10 pound for sewing up deer 20 for bigger game heads. Doesn't stretch and holds a knot like a rock. Liners, McKenzies Eppley or Ohio

4. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Thanks everybody for the help.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you can't find Fireline, Spider wire will also work.

6. LarryL

LarryL Member

X2 on the spider wire and the most important thing you will need is reference you can not have enough.

7. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Do you use water-based paint or lacquer based?

8. I use water based.

9. Patience!!!!!! Don't forget that because you will need lots of it.

10. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

you need reference, its been said and bears repeating, you need something that shows what a live deer looks like. you should also get the two deer mounting manuals by Breakthrough.

it gives all the info you need including tools, and paint colors.

WARNING....WARNING...

you are about to become a member of TA...Taxidermists anonymous, its for those who get addicted to taxidermy, work like a dog to make ends meet, know they can make better money and have better benefits doing something else but simply refuse to give it up.

Good Luck,

11. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Lol!!!!! I know that's what I'm worried about. I love stuff love stuff like this. I'm so excited about getting my first one done.
    Thanks again to everyone for there help. I got to get my house on the market in the next couple of weeks. After that ill be starting. So hopefully my next thread will be a finish product.