1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Joe Meder Whitetail Deer Eyes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by HunterArchery, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Are there any taxidermist out there currently using medium brown Joe Meder whitetail deer eyes instead of dark brown eyes?
    I've heard of at least one competition taxidermist who has won a bunch of awards that states he chooses to use medium color instead of dark brown and even has some of his full body big game mounts displayed in the Cabela's Connecticut store as well.
    I am just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this?
    I just had a professional taxidermist as well tell me that this is wrong and dark brown is the only proper color that should be used.

2. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

I use the Med color all the time. For customer work as well as my own. I like the detail that shows up using the Med color. I don't compete any more but my personal opinion is Meder wouldn't put his name on a product that wasn't correct. I think it gives you choices and options. Live deer in the sun that I have been real close to look just like that My freind raises them an we can hand feed them. JMO

3. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Opinions vary but I like them both. Not all deer eyes are the same color. To many taxidermists think in absolutes.

4. dcooper

dcooper Member

I've used both and have the medium and dark in the showroom to show the difference. Some customers have a preference while others don't. I will say though that for the past 10 years or so I've never had an issue with any of the eyes, however this year I've noticed that the placement of the pupil can be very different with eyes in the same "package". Some of the pupils can be at different levels of elevation (above/below midline) while others are lined up directly in the middle. I've gone through at least 40-50 pairs already this year and I'm finding this inconsistency in approximately 1/4 - 1/3 of that number so far. Just an FYI. Nothing worse than mounting a deer and then looking at it straight on and realizing the pupils are totally off - take it apart and rotate one eye 180 to somewhat (hopefully) match the other.

5. Yikes! That's not cool.

6. I'm with critterstuffr.

7. I am competing with the medium eyes, guess we shall see what happens.

8. chrisman

chrisman New Member

Is there a lot of colors to choose?

9. There are a lot of different colored eyes, just look in the mckensie catalog. You should find what you want.

10. IMO , why would anyone pay that kind of $$ for Dark eyes? If you're going to pay it , use the the Med.

"Competition Taxidermist" That's Funny!

And he,"has some of his full body big game mounts displayed in the Cabela's Connecticut store as well."
    LMAO , Who doesn't have mounts in a Cabela's?

"Wrong" what's wrong is to listen to another taxidermist tell you what is proper. Study reference and you will have your answer.

11. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Depends on the deer. For a lighter grey looking deer I like the lighter eye, just personal preference.