1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2017 World Show Banquet Tables

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Kathy, Mar 30, 2017.

1. We are handling the World Show banquet seating a little differently this year. There will be ten seats to each table, each at $39.50. When you buy your ticket we will place you at the first available table. You will not be able to choose the table.

You can, however, choose who sits with you -- IF you buy those people’s seats when you buy yours. Your tickets will be all numbered to correspond with a table number and will be in your packet to give out as you desire.

Tables will have prominent numbers and we will have the banquet staff ready to help you find your table and take up the tickets.

Feel free to call us if you have any questions: 800-783-7266.

2. ONE PERSON BUYS FOR THE GROUP. Just buy your friends' tickets when you get yours. We will put all the tickets that you bought in your packet. You can let them reimburse you at the show. Kinda like a concert when everyone wants to sit together.

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

If we've already bought them can we get a refund and start over so we can buy them with friends?

4. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Bummer, I registered a month ago so my wife and I will sit with strangers I hope will become friends, so that is a good thing I Spose! Maybe we will sit with Jerry H, and I'll get all his secrets, lol

5. joeps

joeps Active Member

well this will be interesting :eek:

6. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

The reason to go to the banquet is to share the experience with friends and colleagues. Not sure I'm as excited about going now.

7. At least you are going to the banquette. I started trying find hotels for the World show yesterday, both main hotels are sold out.
    Looked for hotels close by within 10 to 20 minute drive, found out today that the Boys State Track Meet is being held there this weekend and the closes available hotel is about 35 miles away, per Fairfield Inn. So I will not be going to the World show this year unfortunately.
    Anyways make be next one, they can miss this boy’s state track meet thing where we will have hotel space available around town.
    I wonder how many other taxidermists will miss this show for the same reason.

8. Jerry Huffaker

Just an idea , you could rent an rv of some type and stay in an rv park.

9. I contacted some friends at the National Wild Turkey Federation, who routinely seat over 3,000 per night at their banquets. This is how they keep it sane and avoid having people stampeding the doors, frantically trying to find a seat.
    Actually, this makes it EASIER to ensure that you sit with your buddies. Just buy up the table of 10 (or however many you need) and the tickets will all be in your packet.
    This is just like if you were getting seats at a concert for you and some friends. It just takes a little planning on your part.

10. To help All Animals out, Larry looked up nearby hotels in Peoria for May 16–20 on Trip Advisor, and found many, some below $80.
    Hope this helps!

11. joeps

joeps Active Member

. That's what we are doing , pulling the camper and staying 3 miles away for $25 a night

12. Jerry Huffaker

You could even rent an RV in Peoria and just pull it across town, if you want to go bad enough there are ways to get it done

13. At the large Banquets I've been apart of we had half the the tables this way and the other half general admission. Like at a concert, the closer to the stage the higher the ticket price.

14. Funny thing, I asked my wife if she wanted to go in our RV yesterday. She said how will we get back and forth to the show? I said we’ll just unplug everything load up and go. She did not like my idea, thought it was too much work, plus driving around a big RV. So today, I ask: OK if you want to drive the RAV4 we can drive it back & forth to the show, she said OK. So today I found 2 camp sites, one is 20 minutes away and the other is a little further. So I was going to start calling these camps tomorrow.

Then I come on here tonight and you guys are on the same wave link. Funny how a bunch of doer’s think problems through to get a solution and resolve it. Almost like a game to see how easy we can make fixing the problem can actually be. Anyways thanks everyone for your input and help. If I was going by myself, I would be camping.

But I did go into Trip Advisor tonight and found a hotel with a room. Which I talked to my wife about and she was all it. I got the last room the Hampton Inn had.
    So tomorrow I will register for the show and now I want to get 3 fish ready for the show…

15. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

I did not find out the banquet was being seated like this until after I bought my ticket. I also just received my info in the mail yesterday. A little late for preregistration.

I was bummed that I won't be sitting with the people I'd like to. Really big part of the reason for going to the banquet for me.

Even a bigger issue is that my wife decided she could go, but that means we won't be able to sit next to each other.

16. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

I thought having to write our names down for a table was a hassle ....now that would be preferable.. It's a big night to not be able to share it with comrades.... with the old way, the ones who were late to get seated were upset. This seems like it'll upset a majority. I don't have an argument since I'm not going, but I was just surprised to see this.

17. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Get out of your comfort zone. Meet new people, network. I don't have a dog in the race, but have no problems with random seating. Never know who you will draw. I've been seated next to Max Baer, PA Supreme Court Judge, Doug McCarron, International President of the Carpenters Union and others I would have probably never met. Had some interesting conversations. Nothing to get uptight about IMO. (Which means squat)

18. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Ok, if I could sit at the table with Jethro I'm in,although Ellie would be prefer.

19. The WTC banquet is extremely hectic for Larry and me and the staff and I don’t often have a chance to really see if all our people are happy. One year, just as I grabbed my seat and the music was signalling the start of the event, I happened to see a late-arrival: a husband and wife and a little boy frantically looking for three seats together. They had paid for tickets just like everybody else, but ended up sitting apart, with one holding the child on her lap. I felt terrible about it!

This came up one day in a conversation with Brenda Duvall, and she explained that the Wisconsin association (which has several hundred at a banquet) has no problems with using a sign-up sheet before their banquets. People pick a seat, sign the number, and sit there. That way, couples, families, AND FRIENDS have a method that makes sure they can sit together. “Piece of cake,” she said.

So we tried this in 2015, and I thought it was going great -- NOT! Maybe Wisconsin people are able to do this, but someone at our show still screwed it up and a few folks sat in someone elses seats! Once again, at the last minute, I had to help a couple searching in the dark to find two seats together -- didn’t happen.

As I already explained, I contacted the NWTF who assured me that assigned tables is the way to go. Larry and I go to this show every year. We come in, find our table, and one sits down while the other fetches the beverages. People that have a large group that always go together buy the table and the friends pay them back.

We did not do this table-numbering thing to be petty or picky -- it was done so that people CAN sit together. All you have to do is call your BFFs B E F O R E you call us and get the number of tickets you need. We plan to open the doors early (show your ticket to the door attendee) and we will have several cash bars ready for people to mingle and have a good time. Each one in your group can find the table where their friends will be. If one guy (or more) is late, no problem! He will easily be able to find his group and a seat will be waiting on him.

We truly do everything we can to make the show great!