1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Aoudad in shop tan.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Redwoood, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Redwoood

Redwoood New Member

Greetings,
    Back on this site after a 10 year hiatus. I'm hoping to get started on mounting my aoudad soon and I am trying to decide whether to send it to a tannery or run it through the pickle and tan it in house. I was hoping to get some advice from some of you who mount several of these ctitters a year.
    Thanks

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It's a skin like any other , it's simple if your not sure send it out and don't worry, if your cape has no issues and your sure of yourself do it house. No one can really make this decision for you but you.

3. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

If it where me I would tan it myself. But that's just me.
    If you can shave a cape thin and know how to tan the answers is an easy one.
    If your not sure or you still need to practice then send it out.

4. Redwoood

Redwoood New Member

Thanks timbuck. I guess it's just the fact that I have 0 experience with aoudad. Read too many stories about shaving too thin and having chaps fall out and such.

I'm sending this one out.

5. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I got an aoudad in my shop last year and did an in house tan..... my recommendation is to NOT use borax when you flesh.... it raises the pH too much and your pickle bath will be a roller coaster ride trying to keep it @ 1.5... After I shaved and re-pickled, I used McKenzie tan and mounted.

Otherwise, He looked great when I got him mounted.

[​IMG]